Installing LCDC and basic setup and use...

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Did you find this guide useful?

5 Very much so!
50%
4 Not too bad
17%
3 So so
No votes
2 Not very much
17%
1 Not at all
17%

Total votes: 6

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Installing LCDC and basic setup and use...

Post by Henry »

This thread contains information about LCDC. The topics are...

Getting Started

The Screen Builder

Email Check

Using the Keypad

General Purpose Outputs

Email Check LED
Last edited by Henry on Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Getting Started

First you will need to install LCDC. You can find it on the eCD in the LCDC directory or by clicking here... Install LCDC like you would any other program.

Run LCDC and you will be prompted for you registration code. Enter it now.

Now you will be promted if you want to Auto Detect the LCD. Click yes.

This will bring you to a second screen and then click the Detect Screen Button

The display will be detected as the LK202-24-USB, and it will show the revision as well. LCDC now will have the proper settings to use your display.

Click on close and you will be promted by the final screen.

From here, you will test your display, and begin displaying information on your screen.

Now it's time to test LCDC and your display. Click on Configure/Test first. This will allow us to check if all the settings are correct from the Auto-detection.

In the Configure/Test screen, the first option is "LCD connection". Choose this option. The COM port will be COM1 or COM2 or COM3 and so on. Default com speed for all Matrix Orbital units is 19200, and that should be shown. The definition file determines which unit you are using. Choose this unit from the drop down menu. Contrast can be left at 55% for now, and the VFD brightness can be ignored.

Click the green checkmark at the top of the screen.

Next, click the Test Display button.

In this screen you can play with the commands, characters and custom characters more in the future.

Now you can send some text to your display. Make sure the circle next to the "text" option is selected and click the "send selected" button. The text should appear on your display and the Log should say the text was sent. If you see gibberish on the screen of the LCD, it means that the wrong com speed was selected. Press the back button, make sure that 19200 is selected for the com speed, press the green checkmark, and test it again. Your display is now configured for some simple uses.

Now you can exit this screen and go to the Screen Builder. You should have a number of screens present from the default installation. All of these screens can be changed, deleted or a new sample can be opened. You should be able to now display information on your LCD. Click the red door in the top left which will bring you back to the main screen, and now you can press Start/Stop display and you should see information being displayed on your display. From here, you can continue to setup some of the more advanced features of LCDC, like custom screens, keypad setup, e-mail and adding more plugins.
Last edited by Henry on Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

The Screen Builder

Post by Henry »

The Screen Builder

Choose the Screen Builder made form the main menu. In the screen builder you can open up predifined screens and import/export screens. There is a directory inside LCDC called examples from which you can load demo screens to experiment with and use. To make your own screen click the plus sign on the right hand side. The title "Screen_1" will appear in the window.

You can rename your screen by typing in the "Name" box beneath the window. Name it "Test". Beneath the Name box is the amount of time in seconds that the screen will display if you are displaying multiple screens. Change the number to 7.

Select the Lines button to type your text. Type, "this is only a test" in line 1 and align it in the Centre. Click on the "2" button to type in text for the second line of the LCD. Type, "…really…" and centre it. Click the green checkmark.

Select the Lines button to type your text. Type, "this is only a test" in line 1 and align it in the Centre. Click on the "2" button to type in text for the second line of the LCD. Type, "…really…" and centre it. Click the green checkmark.

Now you can click the eye icon at the top of the screen to have a preview of the screen you have created. Now you can see your work on the LCD. There is a number of example screens in the LCDC directory!
Last edited by Henry on Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Email Check

Post by Henry »

Email Check

LCDC can check to see if you have any new messages in your email. First you must return to Configure/Test mode. Choose the "Email configuration" option.

The first box determines how often LCDC will check your email for new messages. Leave it at 5 minutes. The "New mail icon" is the symbol that LCDC will show in the tool tray on your desktop when you have new mail. Choose one that you like

Click the plus symbol at the top of the screen. Fill in the information for your email. Please note that your email account must be on a POP3 or IMAP4 server (most ISP accounts are, while most free accounts are not). If you are unsure of your information it can be obtained from your Internet Service Provider. Once you have filled in all of the fields, click on the lighting bolt symbol at the top of the screen. LCDC will try to connect to your email account. If it is unable to connect, some information has been entered incorrectly. If the connection is successful, click the green checkmark at the top of the screen.

Now your account will appear in the window with the number of new messages waiting in brackets. Click the green checkmark again, and then the red door icon to exit to the main menu.

Reenter the Screen Builder, and click the plus symbol to make a new screen. Name it "New Mail" and in the "lines" mode, enter some text like, "You have mail". Click on the box next to the name "New Mail" to remove the checkmark. This means that the box will display only when you receive mail.

Now click on the icon with the red flag that says "Events". Click on the plus sign to create a new event. Name it "New Mail". From the "Event" drop down menu, select Sys->On Mail In. Under Parameters, select your email account, or if you are using multiple accounts, select "Any Account". Under Action, select Dsp->Go To Selected Screen. Under the parameters for the action, select the screen you just created: New Mail. Click on the green checkmark.

You have just created a screen to notify you when you get new mail, and told the program to display the screen when you get mail.

Now you can go back to the mail menu and select Start/Stop Display. You will notice that only your test screen shows up. If you want to see your mail notification in action, send yourself an email, and allow LCDC the 5 minutes to check your mail.
Last edited by Henry on Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Using the Keypad

Post by Henry »

Using the Keypad

The bay insert has a 7 key keypad on the front. These keys don't perform any task on their own. Pressing a key on the keypad causes a letter to be sent from the LCD to the software. To make the keys perform a function, the software must be configured to do so.

MX2 and MX3

BLK/BVK202A

The Parameters box will require a letter that represents the key on the keypad that you wish to use. The above table shows the letter corresponding to each key. Enter the letter H into the Parameters box (no quotation marks necessary). Under Action, select Dsp-> Backlight On/Off. Click the green checkmark to save, and exit to the main menu. Start the display, and then press the Enter key on the display. The backlight should turn off. Press it again, and the backlight turns on again.

Last edited by Henry on Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

General Purpose Outputs

Post by Henry »

General Purpose Outputs

Please note, if you are planning on using the GPOs you are expected to show a certain level of electronics knowledge. If you damage the display or your self it's not our fault. Don't say we didn't warn you.

This example is used with a MX2xx LCD. It can be done on any of our displays. Please consult the manual for the proper GPO information for you LCD or VFD.

The MX2xx equipped with 3 low power general purpose outputs and 3 high power GPOs. A general purpose output is an electrical output that can be controlled through software. The low power GPOs supply 20mA at +5V current, which is enough to power an LED and the high power GPOs can source 150mA at 5V or 750mA at +12V. For those with more technical knowledge, the GPO can be used to power a relay for high power devices like fans. For more information on relays, see section 2.2 of the LK202-24-USB manual.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Email Check LED

Post by Henry »

Email Check LED

Use a 5V LED. You will need to obtain a wire with a 2-pin header on each end, or make your own. For examples on how to wire an LED, please see the Matrix Orbital forum at www.lcdforums.com/forums. Connect the LED to the top 2 pins on the GPO strip. The LED is now connected to GPO #1. After replacing the LCD into your case and situating the LED in the desired spot, turn on the computer. For more GPO information, please consult the LK202-24-USB manual located on this eCD.

Use a 5V LED. You will need to obtain a wire with a 2-pin header on each end, or make your own. For examples on how to wire an LED, please see the Matrix Orbital forum at www.lcdforums.com/forums. Connect the LED to the top 2 pins on the GPO strip. The LED is now connected to GPO #1. After replacing the LCD into your case and situating the LED in the desired spot, turn on the computer. For more GPO information, please consult the LK202-24-USB manual located on this eCD.

LCDC can be used to activate the LED on a desired event. Enter the Event Builder screen and create a new event. Name it "New Mail". For the Event, choose Sys->On Mail In. Choose which email account you wish to check under Parameters. Under Action, choose Gpo-> On. Under Parameters, choose the number 1, as the LED was plugged into GPO #1. Click on the green checkmark.

Create another Event with the following parameters:

Code: Select all

Event "Sys->On No Mail" 
Event parameters "Account name" (Select which account to check, or Any account) 
Action "Gpo->Off" 
Action parameters "1" 

LCDC will now turn on the LED when you get new mail, and turn off when there is no new mail. Test it out by sending yourself an email and allowing LCDC 5 minutes to check your mail.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

orome
LCD?

using keypad on mx610

Post by orome »

I'm using an mx610 to run three 120 mm fans. I'm using the default high power gpo output powered by a standard floppy cable.

I'm trying to use the keypad to increase/decrease the pwm of each fan. I've created six events, two for each fan (increase, decrease on keypad). Problem is, I'm not getting any joy. I'm using the keypad map for an mx2xx, which is the only one i've seen. So I used the letters K and L in the screen builder. Nothing.

what letters does the mx610 use, or am I missing the boat entirely on this. I'd appreciate any help.

F3lch
LCD?

Post by F3lch »

I'm using an MX620 with the internal USB connector. I believe I got it all plugged in correctly, because Device Manager shows the Matrix Orbital under the COM Port section and the USB Controller section. I used the 1.4 drivers to get it to work.

However, now when I try to start up LCDC it can't detect the display. It doesn't find anything on COM1, and for COM3 it says "Device Unknown". My screen is on, but it just displays "Screen detected:N.A.".

Help?

F3lch
LCD?

Post by F3lch »

Okay, I made SOME progress. When I load up LCDC I get an error saying that MUL.DLL can not be initialized. However I can get the screen to run if I click "Start Display", but no matter what is displayed there or what I type in the "Test Display" section, the bottom row of pixels is cut off.

I wasn't sure what definition file to use, because according to the Matrix Orbital website the MX620 is a PK202-24-USB_140, however this isn't listed in LCDC's definition file list.

I suspect that I'm missing a definition file or the screen is broken and the bottom row of pixels isn't working.

F3lch
LCD?

Post by F3lch »

Nevermind, I looked closer and it's the bottom two rows of pixels that are cut off. Other than that everything seems to work, I think I just got a broken screen.

Ckn18
LCD?

Auestion about software

Post by Ckn18 »

I have an mx4 is there a way in lcdc to set one of the buttons on the lcd to control windows shutdown , I'm trying to make a dedicated music server with now monitor