MX212 causes computer to hang during boot

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Do the MX2xx drivers cause your Windows OS to boot much slower than before the MX2xx drivers were installed?

yes, a lot slower
25%
yes, a little bit
No votes
no, not really
No votes
no, defintely not
75%
not sure
No votes

Total votes: 4

dr_chad
LCD?

MX212 causes computer to hang during boot

Post by dr_chad »

Thanks to a little help with the drivers from Matrix Orbital technical support division, my MX212 is now installed and working quite well in my computer. There is really nothing else on the market quite like these MX2xx displays. I am quite happy with it, except for one minor issue. Before installing the MX212 drivers, my computer required less than 30 seconds to boot. Now, it hangs for 9 minutes and 32 seconds just before the desktop appears. It does not appear to be doing anything. The desktop has the correct background image, but is completely devoid of icons, taskbar, or anything except the cursor itself. I can move the cursor, but clicking does nothing and the keyboard does nothing. After waiting for exactly 9 minutes and 32 seconds every time, it continues the boot normally and everything is fine.

Why does it take so long to boot? If I use a system restore point to return to a system state before the MX212 drivers were installed, but leave the MX212 still hooked up, then it no longer hangs during the boot. It asks for the driver, but I hit cancel, and then it boots normally, without the long delay. It boots exactly as it should, taking less than 30 seconds. Can anyone please explain what is causing this problem and how to fix it? This is a brand-new computer that I just finished building last week, with a 3.0 GHz 800 FSB P4 CPU, MSI 875P Neo motherboard, ATI 9800 Pro graphics card, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, 80 GB Maxtor HD, 52x CD-RW, DVD-RW+RW, 7-in-1 firewire internal card reader , 1 GB of Corsair XMS PC3500 RAM, running Win XP Pro. I can provide other stats about this computer if needed.

My guess would be that the driver is not entirely compatible with Win XP Pro, or the driver is conflicting with some other software that initializes during the early phase of boot up. The driver that was included on the CD that came with the MX212 did not work. The second driver (which activates the virtual COM port) did not install correctly and caused the entire OS to crash when I rebooted. Technical support at Matrix Orbital told me to download a different driver from the forums web site, and then the second driver installed correctly and the computer was able to boot without crashing... it just takes over 9 minutes to boot now. Is it possible not all of the (Win XP) bugs have been worked out of the drivers yet? At one point I thought it might have something to do with LCDC, but then I noticed that this booting delay occurs before LCDC loads... and happens whether or not LCDC or any of its plugins are started.

Does anyone else have this same problem: an abnormally long delay caused by the MX2xx drivers on a Windows XP system? If so, how can it be fixed? If not, any suggestions? Is this problem isolated to only Windows XP systems?

Thanks,

Chad :lol:

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

MX212, XP pro SP1. For me the first driver release (on CD) worked fine. Ditto for W2K pro SP3. I'v updated to the new drives, but I boot in the normal amount of time for my Athlon 800 (go ahead, snicker :nono: ).
BLK202A-4BR-BK + LK202-25-WB-V + LK204-25-V + VK204-25-V + LK-202-24-USB + MX212

Mat-Moo
LCD Guru

Post by Mat-Moo »

It honestly sounds like you have a contention on your USB drivers or something... try checking out http://www.usbman.com/ it is an excellent source for USB issues. I've used this before whn I had issues, my digitial camera would do about 4-6 plhotos out of 40 and then just hang the system like you are saying. I thought the camera was at fault, but when I put on a USB hd (backup device) I was getting the same issues. 30 minutes later after seraching the net and reaing that USBMan site I was sorted and VERY happy. I now have 6 usb devices attached including a MX2 with no problems at all or speed issues.
## # Mat # ##
LCDC - Drive it to the edge baby!
http://www.lcdc.cc
Matthew@DPS.uk.com
DPS Ltd. (Not MO!)