VK204-25 Available in PC Drive Bay Insert?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Mayhem
LCD?

VK204-25 Available in PC Drive Bay Insert?

Post by Mayhem »

I'm getting very close to beginning the purchasing process for new parts of my PC. I am interested in purchasing a VK204-25 and while looking over the specs for the unit, the web page mentioned an option for that display being available in a PC Drive Bay Insert. After inspectiing the PC Drive Bay Insert page, it appears that the BVF-2041 is available but I would much prefer the VK204-25 due the additional GPO's.

Questions:

1. Is the VK204-25 available installed in a drive bay insert? If so, could I get a part number and price?

2. If it is available in a drive bay insert, is the unit "permanently" mounted in the bay bracket or can it be removed? I plan on modding the 2 bay bracket with LEDs and it would be nice to be able to remove the display during this process. Plus I could buy an additional bracket should things go terrible wrong.

3. Is the standard VK204-25 suitable for PC mods? What advantage if any would be gained by upgrading to the efficient power supply model of the display?

Thanks in advance for your help!

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

I'll skip the first two and let MO answer them, but on #3, I can comment:

The most PC friendly version will be the wide voltage option, although the standard version should be fine. Since peecee power supplies are regulated, it's a pretty safe bet. *But* the wide voltage option adds a voltage regulator on the board, so it gives you that extra little bit of protection in case your PSU goes out of spec enough (it can happen) to cause damage to the display.

Would you gain from more efficient regulation? It's probably not beneficial at all--you're not on a tight power budget in a peecee application (as opposed to embedded system using the display, which may be).
BLK202A-4BR-BK + LK202-25-WB-V + LK204-25-V + VK204-25-V + LK-202-24-USB + MX212

Mayhem
LCD?

Post by Mayhem »

Thanks for the explanation Linear... sounds like the VK-204-25-V would be my best bet. I am planning on using a 530 watt Enermax power supply so there wont be a prob with having enough juice but having a voltage reg on the display would be helpful in the event of surge/dips.
Last edited by Mayhem on Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

That's the ticket--it gives a lot of peace of mind for a few bucks.
BLK202A-4BR-BK + LK202-25-WB-V + LK204-25-V + VK204-25-V + LK-202-24-USB + MX212

Adam
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Adam »

The bay insert used for the VK204-25 is the B2041 and costs $30.00US. This comes in black or beige. The display is not mounted to the bracket. If you are going to mod the bracket all you need is a screw driver to put the display in after. Since the brackets are sold seperatly you could buy as many as you want but I would just buy one to start. Just follow this simple rule: Measure 500 times and when you think you've got it right and you have picked up the dremel, call a buddy and have him measure 500 times. That should save you aggrivation and money. Have fun.
Adam L.
Sales Manager
Matrix Orbital

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat.