Weird characters on bootup

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Detritus
LCD?

Post by Detritus »

Hi,

I'm having a bizarre problem happen with my VK202-25. On bootup two weird characters are added to my startup screen a short way into the boot process. You can see them in the piccies of my case in the gallery. I've double checked the startup screen and it's defined correctly. It has been suggested to me that these might be my motherboard or windows querying the serial port. Any idea how to stop this from happening? It's spoiling my purdy boot-up screen. :sad:

Thanks,
Detritus

CyPher
LCD Guru

Post by CyPher »

i get the exact same thing on bootup, ive seen it with several lcd's....it seems to be normal...as soon as the system inits the serial port, the lcd displays a few funny characters.....nothing to worry about...

by the way, nice system you got there...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CyPher on 2002-07-18 07:43 ]</font>

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

If you change the startup screen and the just power the unit up with NO serial cable, do those blocks still appear?
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Detritus
LCD?

Post by Detritus »

Nope, the startup screen appears as intended if the serial cable is disconnected before power-on.

...and Cypher, thanks for the nice words about the case. :-)

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

than what that means is, during bootup, Windows spits garbage out the serial ports and the LCD displays them, just like it should... blame M$ for this one :wink:
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Detritus
LCD?

Post by Detritus »

I don't think it's MS. This happens during or shortly after the bios post. Basically...my motherboard must be doing this...it's way before a boot device is chosen...

Is there a way to lock the display for a short period of time after power up? If I can locate the character that is being displayed is there a way of blanking it? It's not a big issue but it's the only thing that's marring an otherwise blissful LCD experience...

l8r,
Det

ADDENDUM: I was speaking to Matt on the LCDC forums. He doesn't get this problem on his motherboard. This must be vendor specific. I run an ASUS CUSL2. It might be worthwhile finding out which motherboards exhibit this glitch. I know it will certainly be influencing my purchasing decision when I upgrade in Nov/Dec this year.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Detritus on 2002-07-20 04:25 ]</font>