Reading data directly from UT, CS, Quake?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Thlayli
LCD Geek

Post by Thlayli »

Heyas,
Sorry for the late reply, didn't notice the thread. Anyways, for CS, to get real time logging you can set up a remote (pseudo) log file by making a file named 'autoexec.cfg' in the main HL directory and putting this inside:
<CODE>log on
logaddress 127.0.0.1 27000</CODE>
which would send all of the log info to the port 27000 on your machine via a datagram. It is realtime, which is great if you don't want to mess with DLLs =). I already made a java program to interpret it, if you like java and want a head start I can send it to you. Peace.

jodynicH
Case Guy
Case Guy

Post by jodynicH »

hmm that is very helpful, that eliminates a need for a "piggy back" program such as qstat now

HeK
LCD?

Post by HeK »

I thinking of working on a similar program as that one shown on the LCDDriver website, but from what I heard about LCDCenter 2.0, should I still continue it? I got stuck at trying to find a source of output from a HalfLife client. I could make a LCD stats app that used logs form the server (either physical access, or thru logaddress), but I'm aiming for a client side stats app.

Modifing the mp.dll (multiplayer.dll) would only work if I were making my own mod, and not for existing mods. HL clients don't do local logging, which I belive extends to the logaddress function as well. The only thing I can think of right now is manually doing 'condump' (dumps contence of console buffer to a file) and parsing that, or using a dll hook. With condumps, the user would have to manually go into the HL console and type the command. There is also the problem of the console not time stamping, thus having duplicate logs parsed. The dll hook has it's own problems, it's vrey complex, and may be detected by anti-cheat software.

HalfLIfe coding is a little off topic here, but I just wanted to fill you in on my little project.

Mat-Moo
LCD Guru

Post by Mat-Moo »

If anyone is up to the challange, this would be a great plugin for LCDC :smile:

Whoosh
LCD?

Post by Whoosh »

Nice challenge indeed..lol.. building a plugin to work with qstat should be quite easy, as all you have to do is call qstat with the needed parameters and parse the output (I know, I know, Im oversimplifying a bit maybe, but trust me, it is not hard or magical) . Reading actively from the game running on your machine is a lot harder ;-) Especially if it's running cheatdetection and blocks out reading it's memory. Reading exportfunctions from a dll shouldnt be blocked, Im sure, so if there is any dll in the game that exports some kind of function that gives the needed data.....

Challenges, challenges :-)

Cheers, Whoosh