Help with wireing a 44780 (URGENT!)

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

ChristianW
LCD?

Post by ChristianW »

http://www.rendo.dekooi.nl/~fjbgp/smart ... onnect.jpg

I want to wire mine like that (with the software backlight on off) but mine has no (-) for the backlight. Only (+). (It has 15 soldering points and right now just a resistor from pin 2 to 15)

Can someone help me?

Christian...

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Please note, this is a Matrix Orbital forum. We have it here for Matrix Orbital customers. We provide this service free of charge for our customers or potential customers to share ideas and support.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

ChristianW
LCD?

Post by ChristianW »

I know. I'm planning on purchasing a MO gfx LCD sometime in the future. But right now I just want to get this one working. And besides, it's the only msgboard for LCD's around. (Not counting EIO)

Maybe you should make a forum called "Non MO products" or something? :smile:

Christian...

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

On 2002-02-19 13:22, ChristianW wrote:
I know. I'm planning on purchasing a MO gfx LCD sometime in the future. But right now I just want to get this one working. And besides, it's the only msgboard for LCD's around. (Not counting EIO)

Maybe you should make a forum called "Non MO products" or something? :smile:

Christian...
But why should we spend money, time and resources on something that will take business away from us?!? It's like AMD having a Intel/Cyrex forum on their site. The reason a person buys a LCD froum us is for the support. If we started to do a EIO style we would let users fend for them selfs and that's not what we want to do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2002-02-19 13:32 ]</font>

sygyzy
LCD Geek

Post by sygyzy »

I have a MO product. How are my screws and spacers coming along Henry :smile:?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

On 2002-02-19 23:55, sygyzy wrote:
I have a MO product. How are my screws and spacers coming along Henry :smile:?
Being mailed tomorow :grin:
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

sygyzy
LCD Geek

Post by sygyzy »

You rock! :smile:

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

On 2002-02-20 20:18, sygyzy wrote:
You rock! :smile:
I know :grin: hehehe... I sent you several things, you will have to let me know what works out for you...
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

sygyzy
LCD Geek

Post by sygyzy »

You did indeed. I don't know what order they are supposed to be in. What are the black washers for?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

the black ones are just a different thickness, more or less see what works for you :smile:
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

mserrino
LCD Geek

Post by mserrino »

hehe....I've always wanted to go over to cf's forum and post questions about MO lcds for shits and giggles :smile:

Also, OT, but henry what are the chances of me getting a mounting kit for one of your 2x40 or 4x40 LCDs? Not the drive bay as I know they're too big, but just the black overlay part?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

ummm, none... we don't have them for that size... all I would be able to give you is a diagram of where the holes are... (I bet this is for your 4x40 // you just got eh?)

sygyzy
LCD Geek

Post by sygyzy »

Okay some interesting news for both you and customers.

You sent me two sized screws. Large = same size as the mounting kit ones but SLIGHTLY larger in diameter. And small = shorter ones. I also got some spacers that are the same height but much bigger width/diameter. And finally some black washers that fit perfect with the larger screws.

Remember now the problem we have is that when you put the filter on, it adds a few mm of spacing. So without the filter it looks like

Nut
White Washer
PCB
PCB
Screen
Spacer
Screw Head (Threads going up)

With the filter it goes
Nut
White washer
PCB
PCB
Screen
Filter
Spacer
Screw Head (Threads going up).

The problem is the filter renders the spacer useless. The spacer literally has nothing resting on top of it since the VFD rests entirely on the filter. That's a no no since it's uncessary weight. So what do we do to combat this? Two things, we need TALLER spacers and taller screws. Didn't get either. :sad:

But no worries. We'll make due. I took the black rubber washer and inserted them on top of the old spacer. This put (what seems like) just enough spacing to take the weight off the filter

Nut
White Washer
PCB
PCB
Screen
Filter
Black Washer
Spacer
Screw Head

The only remaining problem is we added both a filter and black washer and used the same length screw. The result? There is about 3-4 lines of threading that you can go into. The nut takes two lines so you are left with basically nothing to screw into which makes the whole setup kind of wobbly.

I appreciate your help Henry. Definitely top notch service, but MO should probably figure a better solution for future VFD+Filter customers.

If anyone is interested in pics, tell me and I will take them. The difference IMO is that the display is sharper but less bright. I got blue btw.

mserrino
LCD Geek

Post by mserrino »

On 2002-02-23 16:57, Henry wrote:
ummm, none... we don't have them for that size... all I would be able to give you is a diagram of where the holes are... (I bet this is for your 4x40 // you just got eh?)
actually I haven't got it yet, but it is on its way. Got it from linuxcentral, its actually the second MO I bought from them (I have the 20x2 pc bay one) and let me tell you they are an excellent distributor of your products.

Also, the diagram of the 4x40 would be awesome, that way I could use it as a template.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mserrino on 2002-02-23 21:53 ]</font>