Help me find a replacement LCD

Take a load off and chat!

Moderators: Henry, Mods

chuyler1
LCD?

Help me find a replacement LCD

Post by chuyler1 »

Hi everyone, I've been scouring the internet on a little research project for a while now but being a complete newb when it comes to electronics I have hit a stumbling block.

I have a car audio processor (PPI DCX-730) which has a detachable control module. The display on the module has stopped working and I'd like to find a replacement...even if it looks wrong or doesn't fit in the housing, I don't care, I just need to see what's going on so I can configure it.

The display appears to be a 122x32 BONA CM04085 which according to bonafide's website is a custom job and I'm unlikely to get a replacement from them. I sent them an email but they haven't responded.

After looking at other similar sized displays that they make it looks like they use the SED1520 built-in controller. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that mean I can attach any SED1520 display?

The current LCD is connected to the module's board using an 18 pin ribbon cable that plugs into a nifty slot. My ultimate goal would be to find or create a new LCD that will plug into the same spot. However, I don't see many LCDs that have pre-soldered ribbon cables...and furthermore I'm not sure how standardized the pin-outs are on the various LCDs.

If anyone can help me out with this project I would greatly appreciate it! Even if its just a nudge in the right direction!

Here's a photo of the current display for reference:
http://www.huyler.net/tmp/P1010422sm.JPG

PS, there are many others out there with PPI DCX-730 processors going through the same problems as me. PPI (aka Precision Power) was bought by another company a few years back and although this processor is fabulous, there is no warranty or even customer support to help me.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Chuyler1,

As you know, finding a replacement display when little is known about the original can be very difficult. There's not much info to go on here, but I think I can point you to one of our products that may work.

From the description you've pieced together so far, I've got a 122 x 32 graphical unit controlled by an SED1520 picked out. The is a parallel model, which I believe is what you've got there due to the 18 pin header.

The ribbon cable is going to be hard to reproduce; we can do customs, but usually only in larger orders, so you may have to solder to the holes provided. On that note the pin out will be different, it's a 1 x 20 rather than what I presume is a 2 x 8.

Anyway, check it out, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

chuyler1
LCD?

Post by chuyler1 »

Thanks for the fast response Clark.

Can you explain what you mean by "parallel" model?

I'm not opposed to soldering but how will I know what the proper pin mapping is? Trial and error I suppose?

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Chuyler1,

By parallel, I just mean that the data is sent in parallel; most of our products take parallel units and mate them to serial type boards for easier communication.

The pins should be similar on each unit, you'll probably have 8 data, 3 power, 3 control, 2 back light. If you can get a data sheet of the display you've got, you'll be able to match up to the pins on our diagrams.

I would strongly recommend against the guess and check method; there are specific pins for specific functions, so you could get some erratic behavior, and possibly damage the screen :nono: .

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital