VK202-24-USB cursor stuck on second row!

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

ehrnam45
LCD Geek

VK202-24-USB cursor stuck on second row!

Post by ehrnam45 »

I have a VK202-24-USB that I just hooked up and it's not cooperating. While tinkering with spectrum analyser options for winamp I noticed that the display was only showing on the bottom row. When it booted, the MO logo was in the right place. I sent 'cursor home' commands repeatedly with no change in location (i.e. bottom left instead of top left.)

Did I send an incorrect command before that would change the home position?

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hello ehrnam45,
Thank you for your post.
I wonder about plain characters, if you send in any text, where do they appear? Please send the characters many times until the display wraps and scrolls.
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

ehrnam45
LCD Geek

Post by ehrnam45 »

Well, i plugged it in again, and it booted up just fine. Winamp detected it and the logo dropped one row, then changed to the spectrum analyser that I had picked out before.

By sending a single character, it returns to the lower left corner after 20 characters.

I'm looking into using the WA3 plugin instead, but it may just be an issue with LCDC...

ehrnam45
LCD Geek

Post by ehrnam45 »

more strange behavior...

uProject and DisplayTuner seemed to work correctly for a few minutes, but then went back to second row only. Would a reinstall of the software seem in order?

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hi ehrnam45,

Please re-install the drivers for the VK202-24-USB. No need to re-install the software.

Let me know how it turns out.
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

ehrnam45
LCD Geek

Post by ehrnam45 »

i've tried installing it on a different machine with a fresh install of WinXP Home + SP2. For some reason it would take a few minutes to be recognized on startup (repeated device plugged in/unplugged noises from windows) which would drive me crazy!

I looked at the actual device settings in windows device manager and saaw that the default baud was low (9600?) so I adjusted it to 19200. In the mean time I had attempted to connect to it using hyperterminal, but it wound up freezing the terminal and not releasing the com connection--forcing a cold reboot. I'm about to power it back up and see what happens in hyperterm again now that the default baud has been corrected.

In girder 4, the simulated display is supposed to be the driver version on the top row, with the alphabet scrolling across the bottom row. When I test the display, the top row is blank and the bottom row starts with QRSTU then the driver info. the letters scroll in the first 4 or 5 blocks and the driver versions stays static.

I've had to reinstall the drivers several times in the process of setting up other LCD applications, and that hasn't seemed to affect wether or not a program displays properly. LCDsmartie is the only control app that I've had any success with: LCDC and the Girder plugin have been unsuccessful at accurately controling the display.

*edit:
ok, hyperterminal is now correctly communicating with the display, but the girder plugin isn't. I've posted at the girder forums, but haven't received any feedback...

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

ehrnam45,

What kind of cable are you using? Internal or external usb?

Can I also get the pcb revision of your VK202-24-USB?

ehrnam45
LCD Geek

Post by ehrnam45 »

It's an external USB. I have the internal cable, but don't have the display mounted internally.

The PCB is labled as a LK202-24-USB Rev. 1.6 (Canada) The serial no. in the upper left corner is 1546-06M02. The letters "VK" are written in marker on the top of the USB plug. There is not a version sticker on the main IC like the first one i purchased.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

You have the latest VK202-24-USB then. Have you tried a fresh install of LCDC? You can also try posting on the LCDC plugin about the girder plugin.

http://forums.lcdc.cc/index.php?s=a9879 ... topic=3379

ehrnam45
LCD Geek

Post by ehrnam45 »

Well, I've posted on the LCDC forums, but haven't gotten a solution yet. When LCDC starts the display, it shifts the default screen down one row and leaves the top row blank. Any attempt to print text only shows up on the second row. Cursor home only sends the cursor to the start of the bottom row. Can you suggesst any other ways to see what exactly is causing the problem? Thanks in advance.