Resetting COM numbers in Windows?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

sven_sol
LCD?

Resetting COM numbers in Windows?

Post by sven_sol »

Hi all,

We're building quite a few boxes that use the LK202-24-USB-R, but each time we plug them into windows it keeps re-installing the drivers and assigning it a new COM port.

Even rebooting does not reset them. We need to go to into device manager, reassign the number "Yes, I'm sure that this port is not in use!"

I know its something to do with the unique number that is on the USB daughter board, but I don't want to unplug the boards from the LCD for each one. Thats just risking breaking it.

Can I ask how everyone else manages to get around this, or even if there is a get around?!

Thanks everyone!!

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

hi sven_sol,

That is weird, but if you don't want it to reinstall the driver ever time, you can plug in an unmodified floppy power cable into the high power input. This will be right below the fan headers. You shouldn't have any problems with the driver afterwards.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Best Regards,

sven_sol
LCD?

Post by sven_sol »

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply!

So would you suggest programming it over a real serial interface rather than a VCP?

Cheers,

Sven

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Swen,

I suggest you still use this VCP, but you can avoid the driver problem by using the unmodified floppy power cable. Programming to the VCP and serial interface won't differ too much other than you are sending data to a different com port number.

Best Regards,

sven_sol
LCD?

Post by sven_sol »

Hi Tom,

thats the thing, we're rapidly running out of COM ports on the computer, all of them are begining to say that there is already a device attached to them and the programmes only go so high.

we're up to COM135 at the moment and going through and reassiging them is begining to be a bit of a pain, especially as we'll be ordering a LOT more soon and we're having an external company build our product.

I'll give it a go and we'll see how it goes.