Display lifespan

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

lapoune
LCD?

Display lifespan

Post by lapoune »

What is the lifespan of the three different display types? I know pled is around 10,000 hours but what about the other two?

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Hi lapoune,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

All displays are rated on their half life. The pled is around 10,000 hours per half life. The vfd and lcds are 100,000 hours per half life. What that means is at the specified time, the display will be half as bright.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to post them.

Best Regards,

Yeungster
LCD?

Post by Yeungster »

Sorry to hijack this post, but its the most appropriate one that leads to my question.

Q - If the half-life of the PLED is 10,000 hours, does this mean that it will continue to deteriorate at the stated 10,000 hour rate again after the 1st half-life?

Q2 - If the display becomes too dim for my liking. I presume an alternative PLED display can be purchased to replace the existing one? By this time I also presume that you may have displays that are better than my 20x2 PLED, so would any of your displays be compatible with my unit?

Many Thanks,
Pete

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

The deterioration curve is steeper earlier in the life of the display. Second halflife is also 10,000 hours, but constitutes only a 25% drop in brightness (though that is just a spec and doesn't probably fit the curve).

This all sounds a lot worse than it really is. In common applications, you probably won't notice for a long long time.

Anyone know the typical halflife spec on a florescent tube? I think its about a year or so (but then I'm old and wrong a lot). I never notice any difference in florescent tube brightness, and they almost ALWAYS last many times longer than their stated life. For instance, the life spec on a compact flourescent is about a year and a half, but even burning 24/7 I have only ever seen one die in over 5 years (though admittedly, not all of them burned 24/7 and the one that died was not burning 24/7).

What am I saying? I don't know, but I doubt this spec will cause many problems for "normal" applications.

Yeungster
LCD?

Post by Yeungster »

Excellent. Thanks for the prompt reply. That answers my 1st question perfectly, and I also understand what you're saying about a) not being able to really notice it dimming and b) most outliving their stated life

Any ideas on the compatibility and availability of replacement PLED displays?

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

replacement PLEDs can be found here:
http://www.matrixorbital.com/index.php? ... cter-pleds

tony.mcconnell@ultra-date
LCD!

Post by tony.mcconnell@ultra-date »

Hi,

is there any advantage in running the display at a lower brightness setting regards the brightness level - i.e is the 10000 hours applicable to normal default brightness or across the entire range of brightness levels?

Also, I'd assume that having periods where nothing is displayed on the display would increase the 10000 hours (i.e. display something for 3 seconds, blank for 2 seconds, and so on) - but is this on/off behaviour worse for the display than continuous showing of characters?

Thanks