MX610 does it work standalone???

Take a load off and chat!

Moderators: Henry, Mods

phil-t
LCD?

MX610 does it work standalone???

Post by phil-t »

Hi, I've been looking at the MX610, but am just a little confused over the concept..

Can the device work standalone???? i.e. when not in windows?

Where does LCDC fit into this, is the display just passive, and it's being driven from windows, with just basic standalone functionality??

Or is it just programmed via LCDC and works standalone???

Things I'd like to do, but no idea if it's able to do them

1. Switch on the PC.. probably using a GPO and some external logic..
2. Automatically control the fans according to temperature, whether in windows or not..
3. You can build menu's, do these work standalone...??? so I can cycle through fans, etc, or switch the PC ON/OFF??

The other things like monitoring CPU temps/speeds via MBM5 in windows, it already can do, so this is covered...

It looks an excellent product, I am not sure how it 'all works' as a system??

Any comments welcome..

Phil..

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: MX610 does it work standalone???

Post by Jon »

Hi Phil,

Our displays are passive and they do as they are told to do. Which means that they do require software running to interpret the key presses, or the messages sent from the GPO's. When there is no software running, the fans that are connected to the unit run at default settings, which is 100% on, however you may change this using boot edit which is on the CD that comes with the display. So basically you do need to be booted into windows (or linux) before you can read the messages sent via the serial port.
--
Jon

medwardl
LCD!

Post by medwardl »

i haven't purchased one yet either but i figured as much. i think it would be a good idea to make the next generation capable of operating independent of software for more than what you mentioned in the previous post. maybe stick an 8 meg chip on it or so for storage of plug-ins and another chip with the operating software possibly even lcdc preloaded though I'm not sure if thats possible but the others should be. i also think it would be nice if it had optional remote control with the thing as-well and independent power source so it can operate without the computer even being powered up for time programmed power-up and or remote controlled power-up maybe some other stuff i cant think of at the moment. call it a deluxe model maybe I'm being a bit excessive but i think it would make allot neater product than it already is. iv only seen one device to remote start your computer forgot where i saw it though. oh ya make the darn thing color i think with all the other crap id like it to have im looking at what couple hundred more dollors to the price eh id pay it. *^_^*

medwardl

medwardl
LCD!

Post by medwardl »

alright after going back and looking at lcdc and its plug-ins, size wise i think it might actually be feasible to completely load it onto a ROM chip contained on an LCD display but would probably need to be recoded in-order to function without windows at-least the loading and operation of plug-ins saved on the ROM chip. but either way id like to see all these functions and more *^_^* not sure how technical you guys are or if you would even consider going through the r&d necessary for creating the product in which i describe wish i was as good building things as i am in coming up with ideas *^_^*

medwardl

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Wow, that is a lot of ideas. There are many factors involved in designing these units. We don't have the units stand alone because most of our displays are being placed in larger systems. We will consider any suggestions that are thrown at us though.

Best Regards,

medwardl
LCD!

Post by medwardl »

cool thanks. you guys got any new models in the works? if so whats new?

medwardl

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

We will give any details on new models once they are near completion.

Best Regards,