Noob needs help with M.O. LCD based Automotive Temp Gauge(s)

Take a load off and chat!

Moderators: Henry, Mods

jim_in_calgary
LCD?

Noob needs help with M.O. LCD based Automotive Temp Gauge(s)

Post by jim_in_calgary »

Please accept my apologies if I'm posting this question in the wrong forum.

In any case, I would like to configure a matrix orbital or other LCD display to indicate automotive temperatures and pressures at once on an LCD screen. I like the matrix orbital ones because they are canadian (no duty to pay) and because I have one picked out that would go perfectly with my dash board colors. I'd like to use screen number LK202-25-R

If I am not mistaken, most automotive electrical temperature and pressure guages are re-badged ohmeters. That is, the temperature/pressure sensor is either a heat sensitive or pressure sensitive variable resistor. A 12v+ current is applied to the gauge, and is then sent to the temperature/pressure sender which is installed in the engine block (ground/earth). Depending upon the resistance generated by the temp/pressure sensor , the gauge interprets the resulting variable resistance (in ohms) displays it as a specific temperature or pressure.

I'm told this is possible, but "would most likely require the use of a PIC, which requires a programmer and knoledge of the ASM programming language." I don't know what this means or where to start educating myself in this regard.

I have a basic understanding of electronics fundamentals as well as experience with IC's, soldering etc. Can anyone give me an idea as to whether this project would be possible using a Matrix Orbital LCD display, what would be involved, and whether a NOOB like me should consider undertaking it?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Regards,

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Your project is definetly feasible, and you would definitely need some sort of controller. You can use any kind of microcontroller for the display aslong as you can write to a com port. If you want a recommendation for ease of use, then I would recommend the basic stamp. It uses a basic programming language, and you won't need to buy a cross compiler. We have samples programs for the basic stamp interfacing with our displays. You can purchase a basic stamp from our distributor in Calgary at http://www.hvwtech.com/pages/default.asp. The sample code for basic and other programming languages can be found at http://www.lcdforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=939. The parallax forum is an excellent resources on help with your basic stamp too, which can be located at http://forums.parallax.com/forums/.

:D
Best Regards,

jim_in_calgary
LCD?

Post by jim_in_calgary »

Thanks for the info.

Once he figures out what I need, I'll be ordering the stamp and the appropriate lcd screens.

One final question. Could one stamp operate 2 screens?

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

With the Basic Stamp you can talk to more than one display at a time. In TTL mode, you just set up your Tx and Rx pins appropriately and you'll be able to control to displays independently. When you get everything you need, we'll be more than happy to help you out!! :D
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital