LCD Display for floppy bay

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

ikonia
LCD!

LCD Display for floppy bay

Post by ikonia »

guys,

as I am running out of 5.25'' bays in my machine, I was wondering if there was a display small enough to fit in the floppy bay.

I was thinking of mounting a display in the floppy bay - with scrolling technology and scroll the current temperature of my harddisks.

Any one know of a screen that would do the job ?

Bernie
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Bernie »

Hello, I have listed links to two of our displays below that would (size wise) fit a floppy bay. We do not provide a PC bay insert (kit) for these (2) units so the modding would be your responsiblity.

LK162-12
http://www.matrixorbital.com/pages/prod ... =4&CatID=1

GLK12232-25-SM
http://www.matrixorbital.com/pages/prod ... oductID=25

Link to manuals:
http://www.matrixorbital.com/pages/manuals.asp

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Bernadine
berniew@matrixorbital.ca

yanksno1
LCD?

Post by yanksno1 »

Thanks for the links, I was looking for some that would fit into a 3.5" bay also. Just a thought for the future, please make at least a bay casing for the LCD kits for the floppy drive (obviously the ideal solution would be a full LCD kit + bay into one). For us that want to fit one in there and aren't great modders, it would come in handy. We don't need anything special (no buttons needed), just something that would hold a 2 line display for the floppy drive. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

ikonia
LCD!

Interesting Floppy Bay

Post by ikonia »

Thanks for the links bernie.

I'm pretty new to using these screens so apologies for the stupid questions.

the LK162-12-WB appears to fit my needs pretty well.

My questions to you seasoned guys are.

1.) This unit connects via serial connection, how can I connect this internally so there is no cable coming out of the case and into the serial port. Does this require soldering to the motherboard ?

2.) The initial reason I wanted this display in the floppy bay was to display the temperature of my primary harddisk, then if that worked maybe scroll the temperature of the primary/second harddisks or display them on 2 lines together. Is this display capable of this ?

3.) How is this device powered ? molar connection ?

many thanks for your responses.

Matt.
(PS do you guys have some names of good dealers in the UK)

Bernie
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Bernie »

Hello, unless your computer has an internal serial port connection.....hiding the cable is not possible.

You will be able to display temp. etc.......you choose what you would like your unit to display.....as long as you conform to the size/spec. of the display.

The unit(s) are powered 5Volt unless purchased as 12volt. You can run your power from a modified power cable.

The connector is Molex (The female header can be found at Molex. Part Number : 22-01-2047-P; the inside pins are : 08-50-0114-C).

I hope I have answered your questions.
Regards,
Bernadine