This guide provides step by step instructions detailing how to setup and configure FTDI/Bridgetek's EVE Screen Designer software in order to create graphic user interfaces for our EVE3 displays. Currently, our 3.5", 4.3", 5", and 7" displays are supported.
These instructions may be updated as new ESD builds are released.
1. Download and install the latest build of the Eve Screen Designer from FTDI/Bridgetek. The latest build (ESD 4.6) can be found at the link(s) listed below:
2. Once installed, open File Explorer and navigate to the location that the program was installed. By default, the program will be installed under C:\Users\Public\Documents\EVE Screen Designer
3. Open the Libraries>FT_Eve_Hal> EVE_Config.h in a text window.
4. Scroll down in your text window. You should find a few ESD_TARGET_GRAPHICS and ESD_TARGET_DISPLAY functions commented out. Make sure to uncomment the following lines:
ESD_TARGET_GRAPHICS(EVE_GRAPHICS_BT815, DisplayName = "BT815 (Generic)", LibraryTargets="\b(BT81X|BT815)\b")
ESD_TARGET_GRAPHICS(EVE_GRAPHICS_BT816, DisplayName = "BT816 (Generic)", LibraryTargets="\b(BT81X|BT816)\b")
ESD_TARGET_DISPLAY(EVE_DISPLAY_AT043B35, DisplayName = "AT043B35 (480x272)")
Save the file and close the text editor window.
If you aren't using a capacitive touch screen, or BT815 based display, you can skip the following steps, and jump to step 8.
5. In file explorer, open Libraries>FT_Eve_Hal> EVE_Util.c in a text window.
6. In the text window, search for "EVE_SCREEN_RESISTIVE". The text window will bring you to the following #ifdef block.
Copy and paste the following code immediately under the EVE_SCREEN_RESISTIVE #ifdef block.
EVE_Hal_wr16(phost, REG_CTOUCH_EXTENDED, CTOUCH_MODE_COMPATIBILITY);
EVE_Hal_wr16(phost, REG_CYA_TOUCH, 0x5d0);
7. Save the file and close the text window.
8. Start the Eve Screen Designer application. When prompted, create a new project. You can select any of the targets listed, but we suggest you specify the VM816CU50A or the VM816C50A.
9. Once the project has been generated, you should see multiple drop down menus in the ESD toolbar. These drop down menus let you specify what Build Target, EVE IC, Screen Resolution, Communication Platform, Flash Capacity, Toolchain, and programmer you are using.
Please specify the EVE IC, Screen Resolution, and Flash capacity that is applicable to your EVE3 variant.
Specify an MPSSE toolchain, and Run Executable as your programmer.
Once these steps have been completed, you can begin developing your project using the EVE screen designer. In order to run the program, connect your USB2SPI adapter, an your EVE3 display to your PC via USB. Make sure that proper USB drivers are installed on your PC so that your USB2SPI bridge adapter can be detected. Then, press the Build and Upload to Hardware button listed right beside the Programmer drop down menu. It will take a few seconds for the project to compile, but once completed, a terminal window should appear on screen and your project should appear on your EVE display.
Now you can take advantage of the powerful EVE Screen Designer Software that FTDI has provided, and design elegant graphic interfaces with ease!
FTDI/Bridgetek EVE2 & EVE3 SPI TFT Series by Matrix Orbital
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest