Accessing Labels at runtime?

GTT Designer Software Support

Moderator: Mods

deanhuff1
LCD!

Accessing Labels at runtime?

Post by deanhuff1 »

I've created and deployed my project to the GTT29A. It starts up and runs.

When I send commands to update a label using the LabelID that I see in GTT Designer seem to have no affect.

However, If i use the serial API to create a label at run-time (254, 16) I am able to update that label using the Update label API (254,17)

Is there some trick I'm missing to get at components that were created by GTT Designer?

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: Accessing Labels at runtime?

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi Dean,

I should let you know that the GTT has two different command protocols available.

The first protocol is referred to as the GTT20 protocol, or the Legacy Toolset in the GTT Designer. The second protocol is referred to as the GTT25 protocol, but in the GTT Designer, it is set as the default Toolset.

The GTT20 Legacy Toolset includes all of the commands listed in the GTT Protocol manual, and although it is considered 'Legacy', we have no plans of taking these commands out of the GTT's firmware. We will continue to support and fix any GTT20 issues that we come across, but we will no longer be developing commands for this protocol.

The GTT25 Toolset commands follow a different protocol format, and all future commands will follow the GTT25 format. Information regarding the new GTT25 protocol can be found in the GTT Developer's manual.

The GTT25 Toolset provides objects similar to what is available in the GTT20 Legacy Toolset, such as Labels, images, graphs, etc., but we have provided added functionality to these objects. Users will now have the ability to change multiple aspects of these objects, including color, font, and images on the fly. In addition, GTT25 object values can be read back, unlike their GTT20 counterparts. For example, you can update a label with a string, and read that string back when necessary.

While GTT20 and GTT25 objects can be used in the same project, GTT25 commands will not respond to GTT20 commands and vice versa. In your case, the label that you used in your GTT Designer project and deployed to the GTT29 was a GTT25 object, while the update label command that you were using was a GTT20 command. This is why the label did not respond to your commands.

You can take a look at the Report generated by the GTT for a list of commands that are applicable to the objects currently available on your GTT's screen. In the report, you will find the commands you need to send in order to update your GTT25 label, and read your label.

Hopefully this clarifies the issues your were experiencing. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

deanhuff1
LCD!

Re: Accessing Labels at runtime?

Post by deanhuff1 »

Thanks for the response. I was able to find a link to the Developer Guide via the forums. Is there any way for you to put a direct link to the developer manual off this site? https://www.matrixorbital.com/News/gtt- ... evelopment

When I started researching the protocol I never went to page 2 of the downloads page and missed the Developer Guide completely...Whoops!

Another suggestion, updating the 2.0 protocol guide with a comment up front that says to check the new developer guide for 2.5 Object Oriented messages would have tipped me off.