Hey all, advice and info needed re. LCD displays...

Take a load off and chat!

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Link
LCD?

Hey all, advice and info needed re. LCD displays...

Post by Link »

Hey all. I came across this forum after finding the website, which as far as I can tell is the only place on the net will a really wide selection of LCD thingies on the whole net!

Well anyhow it seems cool.

But I need a hand here. I recentlyish got myself a Morex Cubid 3688 Mini-ITX in black which has a blue front panel. USB ports a-plenty.

Unfortunately I've gut a laptop-sized DVD drive in there now, and in any case there wouldn't have been enough space to fit one of the 3.5" things in there at all...

But I really want to use one of these screens somehow, but I don't know quite how yet. It will be used primarily for showing media player/now playing info, but that's the software side...

I'm good with PCs and software, but the minute people start talking about voltages, serial and pararell in these new context, my eyes glaze over and I have no idea...

Anyhow, I want something that looks either like this:

or like this:

Because being limited to alphanumeric characters is fine by me, though I'd pay a little more for a more flexible display.

Now since I know nothing about electricity, and I have no spare power connectors in my miniitx pc ( well I have a used molex and minimolex, can they be split for this purpose? I don't know ) I guess I'll be going with a USB add on if possible. I don't understand which models are avalible for USB or not, I'm confused.

Also, are any premade standalone mounts for sale? Because I don't think this display will either stick on or intergrate too well with my current setup, so a stand may be needed additionally. However any ways to intergrate this idea better would be appreciated too.

To summerise:

* Do I need to go with a USB connector? How easy are my other options?
* How could I best physically intergrate this display onto my mini pc, are there any decent examples of standalone and intergrated displays about? (other than on 3.5" bays of course)

Thanks!

Nick
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Nick »

Link,

Thanks for posting in Matrix Orbitals LCD Forums.

You arent the first that has had the problem of no where to put the display. I knew a few people have found enclosure companies to make a solution, but I don't know any off the top of my head. I will snoop around and see what I can come up with.

If you browse through the intelligent series, you will notice that there is a pattern for the model numbering. Anything with the letters USB in the model means it communicates via USB.

For example, the 20x4 you talked about is labelled as - LK204-24-USB-WB

The smaller LCD0821 do not feature USB compatability. Take a look at the link below and you can browse through more selections. Just make sure USB is in the model name.

http://www.matrixorbital.com/index.php? ... acter-lcds

I will get back to you about where you could purchase an enclosure.

Best Regards,
Nick
Nick Hesson
Sales Rep.
Matrix Orbital

Link
LCD?

Post by Link »

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm still keen but it may be a while before I get one of those USB ones because of the price...

How does one use the other LCDs?