New member deciding on what to get.

Take a load off and chat!

Moderators: Henry, Mods

jhego
LCD!

New member deciding on what to get.

Post by jhego »

Hi, im still deciding whether to get the MX2 or MX4. And also, im choosing between the buttons or no buttons setting. Buttons looks tacky but need to control it without opening the software. I have 2 free slots so space doesnt matter. What do you guys suggest?
Alienware Aurora

AMD FX-53 Socket 939 | 1GB Corsair Extreme DDR | Nvidia 6800 Ultra | SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS | AlienIce-Astral Blue | 160GB Seagate Barracuda 7,200 | 16X DVD | 52x32x52x CD/RW | ViewSonic A75F CRT | Logitech MX510 | Logitech Z-5300

spin-dizzy
LCD!

Post by spin-dizzy »

Regardless of the size that you choose, one option is to create your own keypad using momentary switches of your choice, a spare drive cover, a dremel, and some technical know-how! Something that might look cool is to use vandal switches with illuminated rings that match the backlight colour of your MO LCD (like here). I'm sure the MO guys and gals would be happy to help you out with the details of wiring your own custom keypad to the connector on the back of the unit.

Bernie
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Bernie »

Hello jhego, when decideing between the MX2 and MX4 series, button and non-keypad button options, it will really come down to your personal preference and design. If you have the room for the MX4 then may I suggest that be your size......but keypad overlay will strictly be your design preference.

Regards,
Bernadine

jhego
LCD!

Post by jhego »

Hmmm, the buttons looks really nice, so you replace all the 15 buttons with those things? Will it all fit? I have no experience whatsoever modding anything on my comp. I dont know if Matrix can do it for me for an extra price?
Alienware Aurora

AMD FX-53 Socket 939 | 1GB Corsair Extreme DDR | Nvidia 6800 Ultra | SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS | AlienIce-Astral Blue | 160GB Seagate Barracuda 7,200 | 16X DVD | 52x32x52x CD/RW | ViewSonic A75F CRT | Logitech MX510 | Logitech Z-5300

jhego
LCD!

Post by jhego »

Well i just purchased this http://www.matrixorbital.com/pages/prod ... ductID=113.

I like the fact that i will be able to control the features thru the LCD even if the buttons look tacky and the blue/black should match my alienware.

If you guys know a way to cover change the button interface to nicer design, feel free to let me know, i would greatly aprreciate it. Thanks.
Alienware Aurora

jhego
LCD!

Post by jhego »

spin-dizzy wrote:Regardless of the size that you choose, one option is to create your own keypad using momentary switches of your choice, a spare drive cover, a dremel, and some technical know-how! Something that might look cool is to use vandal switches with illuminated rings that match the backlight colour of your MO LCD (like here). I'm sure the MO guys and gals would be happy to help you out with the details of wiring your own custom keypad to the connector on the back of the unit.
Well i just want to know if there is a nicer template design other than the huge arrows. It would be nicer if they look smaller and simpler, not scattered across the place. I like the MX2 button design because it simpler but i wanted the MX4 for the 4 line display.
Alienware Aurora

Bernie
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Bernie »

Hello, we only have the one keypad overlay design in place for the MX series.

If you would like to contact me direct I could provide you with the keypad MFG and you can contact them with your custom ideas....but please keep in mind you will be responsible for the custom costs.

berniew@matrixorbital.ca

Regards,
Bernadine

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

I didn't read all this thread, but if there is any question about getting information about wiring up your own switches, don't worry about it. I or someone else will help. Also, yes, it is possible to actually hook up 24 separate switches or keys or buttons and cable them all into the display.

Look at Digikey for availible styles. Don't forget about the wonders of model paint. Drilling and filing and sanding and painting is fun!
anis- or aniso- combining form [NL, fr. Gk, fr. anisos, fr. a- + isos equal]
: unequal <anisotropic>