Confused on which LCD to get...? BLK202A-WB-4BR-BK or MX212

Take a load off and chat!

Moderators: Henry, Mods

NewShockerGuy
LCD!

Confused on which LCD to get...? BLK202A-WB-4BR-BK or MX212

Post by NewShockerGuy »

I was going to get the BLK202A-wb-4br-bk. It's a 20x2 LCD that is serial inface and has the keypad up front... Then I go to FrozenCPU.com and see they have the same verion but its USB... http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/lcd-01.html USB would be easier because it's only one cable, but they don't make a back plate for a pci slot like they do for the serial version.. which I think makes it easier to wire up...
Are there any pros or cons to them at all?

Also, after looking at all the pics here in the forum I see that people have a 20x4 display in a single 5 1/4" bay slot... How is this possible without taking up more than one slot? I currently have a 20x4 display and there is no way it would fit in just one bay slot because of the backing on it.

Thanks,
-Nigel
~NSG~

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

I would recommend the USB vs. the BLK202A-4BR module. The biggest positive about the MX series is that it comes with the LCDC software bundle included. With only a single cable connection and with more and more motherboards dropping serial and adding USB connections, this unit is ready for future motherboard connections. With features such as 3 high powered GPO's, 3 low powered GPO's and variable backlight control, this unit is even more useful with the many adaptable plugins available from LCDC. If you are worried about the appearance of the cable, you can dremel a slot in the bracket which the cable can fit into. If I can do it, you can!!
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

NewShockerGuy
LCD!

Post by NewShockerGuy »

Thank you very much Miles! :-)

Another question for you. I saw that some people would have an LED light up if they received and email or if temps. got too hot, another LED would light up. Is this all from LCDC? Also for the GPOs, could I technically run fans off them or even turn on a CC? For the lower GPOs, would I have to worry about it burning the LED out?

Your making me lead more to the USB..hehehe For about $10 more than the serial I think it's going to be a good thing :-) I just have a serial connector on the back of my MOBO so I figured I might as well use that..lol Maybe I can just use that for my battery back up/UPS....

Thanks again,
-Nigel
~NSG~

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

The MX2 LCD has 3 low power and 3 high power GPOs... the low power ones have current limiting resistors on them, so they will not burn up a LED. LCDC controls the GPOs, and you can create events depending on any number of variables.

Here are two posts in the guides section regarding LCDC and GPOs... if you search the hardware forum you will find more informtaion as well..

http://www.lcdforums.com/forums/viewtop ... =6123#6123
http://www.lcdforums.com/forums/viewtop ... =6124#6124

The three high power GPOs can control fans and CC (it some times works, some times doesn't) and once again can be controled by LCDC... like if your system gets too hot you can have GPO 5 turn on the front fans. I did that with Project Athena. Check the Lian Li gallery.

Cheers.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

NewShockerGuy
LCD!

Post by NewShockerGuy »

Wow,
That's really awesome.

You guys made up my mind! USB lcd here I come :-)

Henry I do have one question about the GPOs. It says there are 6 but I am counting 8 GPOs. Above the 1st GPO is says 5v. Does this mean that I have to connect something to that then "daisy chain" it to the first 3 GPOs in order to make it 5v? The last thing I am unsure about is the GPO that is below the 6th one. It has 3 headers.. what exactly is this one for?

Can't wait to order my new LCD :-)

Thanks again,
-Nigel
~NSG~

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

The top most pin is just +5V directly from the USB cable.. it can be used how ever you want... like just having a LED to show when the LCD is on, or other electronics.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital