Typhoon Cable Options

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

williamj001
LCD?

Typhoon Cable Options

Post by williamj001 »

Is the only means of connecting the Typhoon to the motherboard on the Typhoon side, the female mini-b female usb port? What about the 4-pin connector just to the left of that? Can it be used instead? If so, what are the labels on those pins from top to bottom(p+, p-, gnd, and so on)?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

The 4 pin connector left of that is for supplying additional power for high power add-on boards, no need for using that right now.

For connecting your GX to your motherboard we offer an 3ft Mini Internal USB Cable.

williamj001
LCD?

Post by williamj001 »

Which color for you matches with which pin on an internal USB Port?

Colors are: Red, Black, White Green

Pins are: GND, p1+, p1-, +5v

Just need to know I match them up correctly, Thanks.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Just for clarity the white connector next to the mini B is a power connector not an USB connector you cannot attach this connector to your motherboard.

I have a close up of our internal mini-b usb cable that might get you the information you need but not quite sure how much help it would be to you.

williamj001
LCD?

Post by williamj001 »

What I mean is, on that picture you posted, on that connector towards the top there is written GND, D+, D-, and +5V, but I can't clearly see which color wire(Red,Black,Green,White) goes to which slot in that connector. So I was wondering if you could take al ook at that and tell me which color matches with which slot.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Since you don't seem to be using our internal cable but building your own, I have to say you are doing it at your own risk, if you fry something in the process warrenty will not cover it.

This is the color coding I have on this one internal usb cable I found at the office, I don't know if there's a default color scheme or that they just used whatever they could find to build these cables (its made in china afterall) but this is the color coding on this cable is:

+5 Red
D- White
D+ Green
gnd Black

This is on the motherboard end of the cable, on the GX side you can only use the mini-b connector, good luck!

WmMcNett
LCD!

Post by WmMcNett »

It should ship with the Mini Internal USB Cable.

Or

With header pins soldered to the holes that are in the board.

How many motherboards/computers have a Internal USB port? :roll:

How many have a USB header?

Bill

I was going to solder header pins on but it looks like there is no copper trace around the holes. :nono:

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

WmMcNett wrote:I was going to solder header pins on but it looks like there is no copper trace around the holes. :nono:
Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be on the other side of the board?

WmMcNett
LCD!

Post by WmMcNett »

Not when the traces that are connected to the mini USB port is on the side that everyone can see. :roll:

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Plated Through Hole?

WmMcNett
LCD!

Post by WmMcNett »

Yep, Yep, Yep

Upon farther investigation, there is copper there.

Now to de-solder 24 pins, which should have been installed another way, say a through socket.

Just so I can solder in a 4 pin header.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Bill,

I see you're looking to gain access to that 4-pin alternate USB header on the back of your GX. I just wanted to let you know that the unpopulated alternate USB header has the exact same pin out as what you'll find on the non-USB end of the mini internal USB cable.

If you want access to the individual pins, I'd suggest hacking apart the cable rather than the display itself; it'll be much easer than desoldering that header (I just cut the boards apart and solder I new header to do repairs).

Finally, that alternate header is definitely there for a reason, however, for most users we've found that the mini USB header is sufficient. Therefore, the alternate header is not populated as a standard, but can be added as a custom.

I hope that helps clear things up a little, just let me know if you've got any further questions or concerns.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

WmMcNett
LCD!

Post by WmMcNett »

Yes, the mini USB header is sufficient for those who don't care if they have a USB cable running out of their case and plugged in to a USB port.

That's part of what's wrong today, if it's sufficient people will buy it.

I could have built my HTPC in a real cheap case and that would be Sufficient.

I could install this Black Tri-Color Typhoon in the Silver Lian-Li case I bought and that would have been Sufficient but I chose to buy a Black Lian-Li case to match this Typhoon.

I can make some nasty looking welds at work and they will be Sufficient but I don't because I take a little pride in my work.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Bill,

I definitely understand and appreciate your desire to get things not only done, but done right. I just wanted to try to give you an alternate to taking that GX apart.

You are definitely correct in assuming that the 3ft mini internal USB cable would be ideal for a mod, as in your case. However, to appeal to the widest audience, we have tried to put together standard packages that will work best for the most average users, which, unfortunately, has undoubtedly put some users in the same predicament as yourself.

If you do decide to come back to us for your display needs in they future, feel free to send an email to sales@matrixorbital.ca inquiring about any custom needs you may have. Although all packages featured on our site are standard, we'll definitely do what we can to customize something that will match your needs and allow you to get the job done right.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

WmMcNett
LCD!

Post by WmMcNett »

I would have done bought one of those cables at the time II bought the display but it's not listed through the distributor I bought the display from.

I would have bought it through another distributor but not when I have to pay over $10 US just to ship the cable.

I would have done hacked the supplied USB cable if I had the terminals. Splicing wires I could do but I don't like to.

I have, on hand, header pins and an internal USB cable.

When I start putting my 2nd HTPC together I'll be sure to order 2 of them Mini Internal USB cables along with the 2nd display.

An External Device uses external ports.
An Internal Device uses internal headers.

Bill