Excuse my ignorance, but what is the point of the remote?

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

NeilF
LCD Geek

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the point of the remote?

Post by NeilF »

Why do you actually need it?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

The remote control interface is mainly designed to work with Microsoft Vista Media Center in home theatre pc's (XP is not supported because microsoft did not open up the specifications for XP just for vista, we would love to support XP but are unable to do so) but if you just want to control the volume or play and pause video with microsoft media player that will work great too.

for more information about media center see this page and for more information about the remote control functionality see this page.

NeilF
LCD Geek

Post by NeilF »

Ray wrote:The remote control interface is mainly designed to work with Microsoft Vista Media Center in home theatre pc's (XP is not supported because microsoft did not open up the specifications for XP just for vista, we would love to support XP but are unable to do so) but if you just want to control the volume or play and pause video with microsoft media player that will work great too.

for more information about media center see this page and for more information about the remote control functionality see this page.
Aha!

So for you average PC user like me, who simply want it to display details on the front of their PC etc, the remote is not really beneficial?!

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Not really, but all GX'es come with the reciever circuit build in so even if you do not buy the remote right now and change your mind later you can buy the remote then and it'll work.

If you have a universal remote that does RC6 encoding it might also work with the GX but this is untested and we really can't give you any support on it. If it works great! if it doesn't nothing we can do for you.

NeilF
LCD Geek

Post by NeilF »

Ray wrote:Not really, but all GX'es come with the reciever circuit build in so even if you do not buy the remote right now and change your mind later you can buy the remote then and it'll work.

If you have a universal remote that does RC6 encoding it might also work with the GX but this is untested and we really can't give you any support on it. If it works great! if it doesn't nothing we can do for you.
Is there a version without the sensor on it (if you're not interested in the remote at all)?

cipher_nemo
LCD Geek

Post by cipher_nemo »

For GX displays, not to my knowledge. My guess is that Matrix Orbital keeps their costs down by limiting the variations of their GX design. It is possible that the cost to manufacturer one without the IR sensor would cost the same or more than just including the component on all of the devices. But that's just a guess. May be a rep from MO will be able to clarify? :)

NeilF
LCD Geek

Post by NeilF »

cipher_nemo wrote:For GX displays, not to my knowledge. My guess is that Matrix Orbital keeps their costs down by limiting the variations of their GX design. It is possible that the cost to manufacturer one without the IR sensor would cost the same or more than just including the component on all of the devices. But that's just a guess. May be a rep from MO will be able to clarify? :)
The appearence is the main concern... ie: Nothing other than the screen is visable...