Initial Observations/questions.

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

braineater
LCD Geek

Initial Observations/questions.

Post by braineater »

I've had a few days to play around with my GX now so I thought I'd chime in with some observations / questions....

First let me say , Good job Matrix Orbital ! awesome display so far !

-----------------------

I've read in a couple other threads about colors/screens resetting or not being visible ; I've had the same issues and have figgered it out ;

The issue is drivercoretray.exe . If any of the 3 screens (clock/cpu/multimedia) this program activates are left enabled , it will interfere with lcdstudio.
I can only assume these are meant as test/demo screens only and should not be used in conjunction with lcdstudio , however , when you install the drivercore package this defaults to 'enabled'

Are these 3 screens user adjustable at all ?

Would it be possible to get a detailed description of the .exe's in the 'MO drivercore' directory ? please ?

ps.......GX_logo.exe is worth seeing ;)

Lastly , I'm curious about the pinouts on the back.Can we expect a 'technical manual' ?

-------

Once again : Congrats on the rollout of your newest display.Good job ! I'm very pleased so far and can't wait to get this sucker working up to it's potential.

:D

spinelli
LCD?

Post by spinelli »

Yeah, it would helpful for new users to know that DriverCoreTray.exe in the Matrix Orbital DriverCore folder within Program Files manages the demo clock, cpu usage, multimedia screens. I nearly went crazy trying to turn them off and only use LCD Studio.

On a side note, the display (my first LCD) is quite impressive. All I have to do is stare at it for 30 seconds to observe: my pc's temps and vitals, the names and scores of players on my favorites game servers, the week's weather forecast, and what song is currently playing. It's great.

I'm sure with some more time, LCD Studio will provide much more functionality for the GX.

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

Ok.....

I have discovered a couple more interesting things that i'm pretty sure are not supposed to happen .

Before I get into the issues , I should post my rig specs etc , just so we know where we're at from a hardware standpoint....

my rig :
Intel Core2 e6600 on Asus Striker Extreme motherboard w/ 1 Gb mushkin redline pc8000
BFG/Nvidia 8800 GTX /Silverstone 750 Watt psu / Thermalright xp-90c
WD Raptor X (c: , OS) / WD raptor 36GB (d: , pagefile) / 3x WD 500Gb (data)

No current Overclock.

Running windows XP professional /sp2-fully updated and patched.

---------------

Ok..........

First issue ;

If the display powers up , and LCDstudio is not setup to load a playlist , and the 'diplay is idle ' screen comes up , it runs at 100% cpu load.
The two involved programs are : lcdinfo.exe and drivercoresvc.exe
Interesting thing : in windows task manager , both programs will show 0% load , however they are actually using 100%.....(im not sure which one is actually using the cycles , it seems to be both together)

----------

Second Issue ;

If you unplug the display from the usb , plug it back in , and then reboot the computer , it will reset the color of the display to the light blue used in the initial config of the 3 test screens (drivercoretray.exe) ......(even if all 3 test screens are disabled) .
If you actually power down the computer and display completely however , it will reset to the current setting as set by GX defaults.exe.

-------

:wink:

Paradigm
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Paradigm »

braineater wrote:Ok.....

Second Issue ;

If you unplug the display from the usb , plug it back in , and then reboot the computer , it will reset the color of the display to the light blue used in the initial config of the 3 test screens (drivercoretray.exe) ......(even if all 3 test screens are disabled) .
If you actually power down the computer and display completely however , it will reset to the current setting as set by GX defaults.exe.
This is an interesting one. I'll have to try to reproduce this before I can give you an informed answer. Ray will no doubt be looking into your first issue.
James McTavish, P.Eng
Director of Engineering
Matrix Orbital

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

Awesome !

I made my machine do it four times before I posted....

Might be hardware specific , might not.....I'm still fooling around with it.

:D

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

Ahhh yes ok

It just did it with no unplug.

Reboot caused color change to light blue........

Dgephri
LCD Guru

Post by Dgephri »

mine reverted to stock colors anytime LCDInfo loaded.
So I took that out of the Startup since I don't want it interfering with LCDstudio anyway.

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

you are absolutely correct , that's the program doing it alright.....

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

Ok......

I have found another issue.

DriverCoreSvc.exe is giving me lockups....I'm not sure quite why , (i don't get a bluescreen or anything with data).......And it's seemingly random.

I'll repost If I learn more.

Unfortunately , this means I can't run my display till this issue is fixed.

:(

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

gak !

I can't nail this issue down.Lockups are the hardest thing to troubleshoot....at least bluescreens give you something to work with.

I'm 90% sure drivercoresvc.exe is at least part of the issue , however , at this point it looks like some of the drivers for my lexmark printer are involved too.......I am starting to think it might be a USB conflict somewhere.....

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

havent seen any lockups do to driver core on any test system, but ya, they are a huge pain to trouble shot.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

Heh....ok I believe I have got it.
my display's been up for 3 days now with no issues.

It would appear the issue is not with drivercoresvc.exe.....(at least not by itself).
There is either a) A conflict between drivercoresvc.exe and the 3 lexmark apps that load for my printer or b) the issue is entirely the lexmark apps........I am not sure.