IR control instead of keypad?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

wayn3
LCD?

Post by wayn3 »

Has anyone worked on hooking up some sort of IR control to the keypad inputs of an LK204-25? Is this silly? Should I use IRMan and have 2 serial ports on my motherboard instead?

jleach
LCD Geek

Post by jleach »

I thought about this a while back and here is what I found. Velleman (I got a catalog from a local electronics store but they have a web site at velleman.be) has a kit K6711 that is described as a 15 channel IR receiver.

Here is a quote from the catalog:

15 open collector outputs: 50v / 100mA
LED indication for every output
change-over or pulse contact selectable per output.
power supply: 8-14VDC or 2x12VAC/150mA
PCB dimensions: 70-145mm

Okay.. now I _think_ that if you set the outputs to pulse contact (same as momentary?) and wire each pair like they were part of a button-array keypad like it described in another post it'd do the trick.

I'm just not 100% sure, plus I haven't even priced one of those units. :smile: They also sell a remote for it, K6710.

Anyone know if that'd work?

psykik
LCD!

Post by psykik »

Hey sweeeet! Somoene verify this can work and maybe sell me a working IR remote with an LCD for a fixed fee. Please email crankyTheTurrtle@aol.com

Thanks

wayn3
LCD?

Post by wayn3 »

This would be an excellent product for Matrix Orbital to develop. Since an MO display already provides a PIC for translating serial signals to parallel, instead of of having button inputs, support IR. As one unified module MO would have a significant advantage over other vendors.
<p>
Go Matrix!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wayn3 on 2002-09-09 13:06 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wayn3 on 2002-09-09 13:07 ]</font>

jleach
LCD Geek

Post by jleach »

I'm still not sure if it's as easy as it looks... I think the open collector outputs will work just like a switch would... If that's the case then i'm going to buy one and give it a shot... Like I said, I'm just not sure if it'll work. Heh.

Mat-Moo
LCD Guru

Post by Mat-Moo »

Not sure if you are aware or not, but I've added a IR plugin into LCDC. However this uses a basic peice of hardware (Which I got from http://www.meblin.karoo.net/). This particular peice of hardware is quite basic and all it can do is change one of the signal lines on rs232 between 1 and 0. It does not take a remote control signal, decode it and produce a unique key signature (which is what you device would need to do) and send it down RX. On top of that there seems to be 3 types of remote control signal codes (http://www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/A ... /works.htm) so your hardware would need to decode all thre types to work correctly (My software only works with the first two at the moment). Good luck though and I hope this helps a bit.

jleach
LCD Geek

Post by jleach »

Yeah. I saw your cool plugin. The only problem is that I'd need another serial port to use that. I've only got two serial ports on my box and one is used by the lcd, and one by my palm pilot.

The velleman ir receiver and remote are a matched set. It says it will work with other remotes but i'm sure it's only going to work with some, not all.

I'm headed into work tomorrow and if it's not too busy i'm going to pick one of the electrical engineer's brains about this.

As far as the device i'm thinking about. It already has open collector outputs for each of (i think) 15 signals. So it should be as easy as wiring each pair from the ir receiver in like a button would be wired. Of course, with a lot of buttons you have to set it up with a row/col layout but that's not that big a deal. I worked that out on my prototype board.

I might just take a chance and buy one of those ir receivers and a remote... I really don't want to have to use another legacy com port.

Stig
LCD Geek

Post by Stig »

I think that the IR receiver and transmitter is the same as I have (can't remember the numbers and I'm not home atm). I put it in a pre-amp that I had built and it used the same address as both my TV and sat-receiver, so I stopped using it. It's RC5-coding btw, and it is not possible to change the address for the receiver.

Regarding the open collectors, you can't just connect it up like switches, since the emitters are connected to ground IIRC. You probably have to use some sort of interface, for example with some 4066-chips, but that should be quite easy to put together.

Stig

jleach
LCD Geek

Post by jleach »

Stig, you seem to know how it could be done. Can you draw up some schematics? I'd be willing to build it and let ya know what blew up. :smile:

The guy I was going to ask at work quit so I'm kinda at a standstill because I don't really know the other engineers anyway.

Stig
LCD Geek

Post by Stig »

I can't remember quite how it looks, but from memory I have made a crude schematic with how it might be possible to connect it, but no guaranties.... :smile: For all outputs, you need 4x 4066. I can check it better when I get home ( in two weeks time) so that you don't blow up your receiver (or display)... :smile:

On the schematic, on top is original, on bottom is my modification. The 100n cap is decoupling for the 4066, you need one for each, close to the chip.

Stig

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stig on 2002-09-12 02:07 ]</font>

Stig
LCD Geek

Post by Stig »

Finally had the time to check this....

The schematic wasn't quite how I remembered, but the circuit in it self worked as I had drawn. You can use 4066s as switches and wire them up in a matrix and connect the control lines to the resistor on the same side as the diodes (not the leds). For all 15 outputs you would need 4x 4066. Also remember the 100nF caps on the powersupply. This was tested with a NK204-V.

Stig

psykik
LCD!

Post by psykik »

hey u super intelligent lcd peeps hurry up and get this ir remote thing workin will ya, i been waitin a month. Get it workin and let me buy it from ya.

thanks

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

I would love to see this done as well :D So how can I bribe one of you to do this :D

Stig
LCD Geek

Post by Stig »

I guess I could make up a quick PCB-drawing, but I don't think I can start making these for sale. It will probably take a couple of days before it's done, I'm a bit busy at the moment.

Stig

jleach
LCD Geek

Post by jleach »

I'm not an engineer, more of a tech. I can build one from a board drawing, probably and maybe from a schematic. Depends on the complexity. For me, I'm only going to have the free time 'till Oct 21st. I have to travel again, then.

Stig, if you can put up a good pcb drawing I'll build one. I've got the lcd display and the velleman remote and receiver. I also have my protoboard with a button array keypad and my test lcd's all hooked up... I still haven't put everything in a case.. Heh.

Well, anyway. I hope you can find the time for the real hard work.. I'll do the easy part. :)

James