Will GLK24064R-25-1U-USB-TCI work with LCDproc?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

nwestfal
LCD?

Will GLK24064R-25-1U-USB-TCI work with LCDproc?

Post by nwestfal »

Hi, I have a Silverstone case that came with an Imon LCD that is no longer working, and I would like to find a suitable replacement. GLK24064R-25-1U-USB-TCI is nice looking and seems to be about the right size, and is USB which is a plus. Will this work with LCDproc running on Linux?

LCDproc lists GLK24064-25 as supported, but Modules not listed as supported are not recognized and the driver will not load if it encounters an unrecognized display. So would GLK24064R-25-1U-USB-TCI be recognized as GLK24064-25?

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: Will GLK24064R-25-1U-USB-TCI work with LCDproc?

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi nwestfal,

Welcome to the forums!

I've given it a quick test, and unfortunately it doesn't look like LCDproc has updated it's drivers to include the GLK24064R series of displays. When I attempted to run the client, LCDproc was unable to properly detect the GLK24064R, and returned an error.

There is another LCD software source for Linux called LCD4Linux. It doesn't list the GLK24064R as a compatible device, but it does have support for the Matrix Orbital GX display, which is similar in form factor. I've been struggling to set it up properly due to a few errors with the compiler, but I'll try to test LCD4Linux with a GX display, and let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

nwestfal
LCD?

Post by nwestfal »

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for checking! Is the GX still available anywhere? It shows as EOL on the website.

thanks

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi nwestfal,

I apologize for the delay.

The GX is an EOL product, so it will be difficult to find. It looks like none of our main distributors still list the item in their catalog. If you can find one from a smaller distributor, you'll be in luck, as it does work very well with LCD4Linux without needing to modify any code.

I have also been able to explore the LCDproc code a little more, and I found that it is very easy to modify the LCDproc display drivers, and add GLK24064R compatibility. A simple cutting, pasting, and writing of code will have the GLK24064R compatible in no time. I can also guide you along with how to do said code modification.

There is also the option of using a character display. We do offer various character displays, including 20 x 2 and 20 x 4 displays that are all compatible with both LCD4Linux and LCDproc without need for extensive modification to code.

Cheers,
Daniel Divino
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital

nwestfal
LCD?

Post by nwestfal »

Thanks for doing the leg work on this. I'll be looking further into these options soon. I too had been looking at the LCDproc code about a week ago, and it looked like it was only a matter of adding the product ID to the glk driver so that it would recognize it. It seems that the command API looks identical to other GLK series that are already supported.

Daniel Divino
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Daniel Divino »

Hi nwestfal,

The commands for the GLK24064 and the GLK24064R are identical, so the 24064R should function identically as the 24064 when a new product ID is dropped in.

I also noticed when I did add the product ID, and ran the GLK24064R and GLK24064, there were noticeable graphical glitches. The proper information would be sent to the display (time, operating system, hard drive space etc) but it would then be written over with additional text. It seemed like a command byte would go missing during screen updates, and that would lead to a wall of command text. This glitch occurred on both the GLK24064 and GLK24064R. It may have been due to my configuration settings (I'll admit, I simply specified the glk driver, and that was it) so I'll play around with it a little more.
Daniel Divino
Technical Support
Matrix Orbital