GLK24064-16-1U Documentation

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

TedG
LCD!

GLK24064-16-1U Documentation

Post by TedG »

It seems the display we were using has been discontinued,the light background with black text and the dark background with colored text is what is left.
Anyway I have to make the new display work before our stock runs out. Matrix sent us a display to try and the documentation has been revised.
I am having trouble understanding what is being said in a few of the commands.
For example in "8.6 Set contrast" it says:
Immediately sets the contrast between background and text. If an inverse display color is used this also represents the text brightness. Default is 128.

What is an inverse display color? This ALSO represents the text brightness?

Also in 9.5 Download a file and 9.6 Move a file they both us the same 0xB2 command, is that correct?

Also in 5.1 Set Drawing Color it says:
Change the drawing colour used for all subsequent drawing commands that do not implicitly specify colour. Colour 1 byte, 0 for background or 1 to 255 for text colour

Does that mean that using "0" will set it to the background color and ANYTHING between 1-255 will set it to the text color? Or is there some sort of color chart or brightness or contrast associated with that range?
Thanks in advance.
Stwo Corp

TedG
LCD!

Post by TedG »

Also it says in 8.3 and 8.4 Set Brightness and Set and Save Brightness that the defaults are 255 and on my display it seems the brightness is 128. Is that correct?
Stwo Corp

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: GLK24064-16-1U Documentation

Post by Ray »

We're closed today and i can't answer some of the questions but i'll answer all others.

The difference between a normal and inverted display is a different polarizer, its probably best shown with a pictures :

normal display

inverted display :

the pixels in the inverted display actually light up, so what on the normal display would just increase contrast will on an inverse display also increase brigness since more light is allowed through.

The set drawing color pretty much works like this, if you set it to 0 lines would be drawn on the display by erasing pixels while 1-255 will draw lines by setting pixels.

I'll have to get back to you on command 0xb2 tomorrow

TedG
LCD!

Post by TedG »

Thanks for the quick reply even on your day off!

I have empirically confirmed what you said, I was just making sure I wasn't doing something wrong. The documentation is a bit hard to understand sometimes.
Stwo Corp

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Ted,

I'm glad Ray was able to show you the difference between the regular and inverse displays, everyone is back at work now so I can get to the rest of those questions for you.

Let me start by saying I did the rewrite on the manual and tried to anticipate many different interpretations of the text; I found some parts of the old manual confusing and obviously everyone has a different take on the material. I thank you for explaining your views of these sections and will take anything I don't change immediately into account when the next rewrite comes up.

First, the correct Move command is 180 or B4 in hex, it is shown correctly in the summary, and has been changed in the manual which will be uploaded shortly. The drawing colour is correct as listed, albeit confusing; a value of 0 will set the background colour while any other value will set the text colour.

Now, for the affects of backlight and contrast on an inverse display. The backlight commands will only affect how bright the backlight is, and the contrast only how intense the text is, however, describing the visual outcome for an inverse display is difficult. With contrast at the default 128 setting, text will range from a dim, white colour with the backlight off, to full colour with the backlight on. With backlight at the default 255 setting, text will fade into black with the contrast set low, and begin to bleed colour into the rest of the screen with the contrast near max.

If you do have any further questions regarding the inverse screen, please don't hesitate to post, or contact me directly for help in switching over to this new display.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital