Change out the LCD on an LK202-25

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

sredmyer
LCD?

Change out the LCD on an LK202-25

Post by sredmyer »

I need this solution (the LK202-25) but with a 24X2 display. I have a display can I simply remove the 20X2 display from the LK202-25 and replace it with my 24X2?

Thanks,
Steve

Briani
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Briani »

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately it's not as simple as replacing the display. The MO board has a fixed character layout that cannot be changed by swapping display. If you swap the display, and assuming all other parameters remaining the same, the display will still function as a 20x2. The additional 4 characters per line will be unutilized.

While we don't have a 24x2 off the shelf solution, if you share some of your design requirements, we would be more the happy to work with you to find a solution that fits.

sredmyer
LCD?

Post by sredmyer »

I am not sure what else I can provide. I need precisely the functionality of the LK202-25 only with a 24X2 display (well actually I don't need any of the GPO functionality).

I have an older piece of equipment which has a custom 14 key matrix-style membrane keypad with a 24X2 LCD. This keypad/display combo is then connected to a custom-built ISA bus PC card which contains a micro-controller. Software on the PC then communicates with the ISA card to monitor the keypad and control the display.

I am re-purposing this device and need the keypad/display to be easiliy monitored and controlled via a custom app (which I will write in VB). I have virtually no skills in electronics and therefore the many DIY LCD2USB type projects available on the web are not for me. I need a pre-built solution.

Thanks,
Steve

Briani
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Briani »

Hi Steve,

Typically we need, at minimum, the physical size of the current display.

If you send me the size of the display, and the size of the PCB, or the displays part number, I can try to find you something that is close to your current display.

That being said, I can't make any guarantees to find you a perfect solution, but I'll try.

sredmyer
LCD?

Post by sredmyer »

Well the display dimensions (including bezel) are 4.02" x 1.12" (L x H).
The PCB dimensions are 4.65" x 1.41.

There are 14 pins (2 rows of 7) on the left side of the board labeled 1 -14. Connections labeled 15 and 16 are on the right side of the board.

As to thepart number I do not know but this is on a sticker on the back side of the PCB.
EDT
ED10063YLY
0011*53

Stenciled on the board is:
Rev D
20-20015-2

Hope that is what you needed
Steve

sredmyer
LCD?

Post by sredmyer »

Briani wrote:Hi Steve,

Unfortunately it's not as simple as replacing the display. The MO board has a fixed character layout that cannot be changed by swapping display. If you swap the display, and assuming all other parameters remaining the same, the display will still function as a 20x2. The additional 4 characters per line will be unutilized.

While we don't have a 24x2 off the shelf solution, if you share some of your design requirements, we would be more the happy to work with you to find a solution that fits.
Actually I think this may work. I do not actually need the extra four characters, the display just needs to fill the same cut-out in the case. So using the 24X2 in 20X2 "mode" would be fine.

With that said, can you tell me (based on the displays identifying info given in my previous post) whether the display I have will work with the controller board from the LK202-25?

Thanks,
Steve

Briani
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Briani »

To be honest, I don't know. I haven't had a chance to check out the datasheet for your display. I'll try to get a good look at it tonight.

Briani
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Briani »

Hi Steve,

I can't find a datasheet for your display. I know it s an Emerging Display Technology product, but I suspect it's obsolete.

EDT only has 1 current offering in the 24x2 and as far as I can tell, it is pin compatible with the LK control board. But that determination is based on a lot of piece meal research; I actually don't have a full datasheet for the current model.

I have verified the pin out and the display controller, for the current model; now assuming that this is a migration version of your display, it probably will work, but that is a significant leap of logic.

When all is said and done, I cannot say with certainty that your 24x2 display will work with our LK board. Also just on a side note, and I know that this goes without saying, but should you try to mate a LK board to your display, you will be voiding the warrantee and we can't be held responsible for any damages that result (sorry it's just something that needs to be said).

Should you choose to try; good luck, and let us know if there is anything more we can do to help.

sredmyer
LCD?

Post by sredmyer »

Briani wrote:Hi Steve,

I can't find a datasheet for your display. I know it s an Emerging Display Technology product, but I suspect it's obsolete.

EDT only has 1 current offering in the 24x2 and as far as I can tell, it is pin compatible with the LK control board. But that determination is based on a lot of piece meal research; I actually don't have a full datasheet for the current model.

I have verified the pin out and the display controller, for the current model; now assuming that this is a migration version of your display, it probably will work, but that is a significant leap of logic.

When all is said and done, I cannot say with certainty that your 24x2 display will work with our LK board. Also just on a side note, and I know that this goes without saying, but should you try to mate a LK board to your display, you will be voiding the warrantee and we can't be held responsible for any damages that result (sorry it's just something that needs to be said).

Should you choose to try; good luck, and let us know if there is anything more we can do to help.
Thanks for the help.

I think I will go ahead and try it...I will let you know how it goes.

BTW, the pin out for this display differs from the one on the LK202 board in that pins 15 and 16 are not part of the double row header. There are two connections (not pins) on the opposite side of the display (the right side when looking at the front) which are labeled 15 and 16. Do you think these are the same as the 15th and 16th pins on the LK display? Also, what is the purpose of these two?

Of course I realize that once I do this I will have voided the warranty and that you will not be able to offer me any "official" support. However I would greatly appreciate any insight you can provide regarding these pin differences.

Thanks,
Steve

Briani
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Briani »

Hi Steve,

Here is a link to EDT 24x2 display.

http://www.edtc.com/edt/Products/specs/EW24210.pdf

If yours is similar, then the 2x8 header drives the backlight (pins 15/16). Now if your display has the two signal on the right side (Display facing you) I suspect it has the EL or CCFL backlight option. The LK board can only drive an LED style backlight.

To start with, I would not connect pin 15/16 and definitely don't connect anything on the right side of the Display. If the LK can talk to the display then we can take a closer look at the backlight.

Once again, good luck, and please note, that if your display is a EL or CCFL type backlight be very careful when disconnecting it. Both these technologies require health power to work, and should the backlight be powered when you remove the display, you could get a shock that you'll be talking to your friends about for a while.

Just be careful and let me know how it works out.

sredmyer
LCD?

Post by sredmyer »

Thanks again for the help.

The display (in this application) does not use a backlight. So am I correct in assuming that I can just connect pins 1-14 and simply leave 15 and 16 unconnected?

Oh one other quick question. I will be managing the display and keypad via a VB 6 application. I have managed to create an app which exercises most of the features of the display but I can not find a way to discover (read) the setting (ie. contrast, brightness, etc) values.

Are there any functions for reading these values?

Edit: I think I should ask that question in the software forum.

Steve