VK202-25 USB Power Question

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Faentur
LCD?

VK202-25 USB Power Question

Post by Faentur »

Hello. I have a question about my VK202-25 5V Display.

I purchased the display many years ago, and upgraded away from the computer it was in. I kept it, and want to re connect it to my current PC. I need to put it into an external box as my current pc has a serial port but no open bays.

My question is this. I want to switch to USB power instead of the MOLEX connector cable that the unit came with. In the store there is a PCUSB power connector that is supposed to work. I clicked on the order page, and it shows that it will cost 25 dollars to ship the 6 dollar cable! Since it seems to be just a slightly modded usb cable I was wondering if there was a diagram somewhere that would show someone like me how to do it myself? I have been searching for a while and cannot find one on the site. I am not very advanced with a soddering Iron, but can follow directions well. :) Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise it will go back into the box I have had it in all this time.

Thanks.

Faentur
Attachments
orderclip.PNG
orderclip.PNG (13.98 KiB) Viewed 5112 times

Briani
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Briani »

Hi Faentur,

If I was in your position I would simply go out to your nearest techie type store, buy the cheapest USB cable you can find, strip off the peripheral end (the end that doesn't go into the computer), separate the red and black wires (cut the other two wires clean so there is no chance of a short), and solder the red wire to the VCC pin of the VK's power/COM header and the black wire to the GND pin to the power/COM header.

Things to do or know before you do this!:

As always test to make sure that there is 5V across the Red and black wires before you solder them to the VK. Don't solder them to the unit while the usb cable is plugged in to your computer (this is a great way to kill a PC) or for that matter don't cut off the end or strip the wires in the usb cable while its plugged in.

Also I know your unit is a few years old, but I have to add this simply because the sales types get excited when I don't say this; any modifications to any Matrix Orbital product will void the warranty, that being said, as long as the RED 5V wire goes to VCC and the black GND wire goes to GND, you should be smiling.

Food for thought; you may want to add a connector to the end of your cable in lieu of soldering the cable directly to your Vk, its a nice touch and makes things a little more reliable over time, but not required. If you do let me know and I'll drop you the part number for the connector. Also just a word of warning, this may or may not work, simply because in this mode, the most current, according to spec, that your MoBo should be able to supply is 150mA. If this is the case, you will need to connect the usb cable to a powered hub and not the PC directly. That being said, a lot of MoBo's make the full 500mA available, so its a 50/50 shot.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Brian Ingwersen
Engineering
Matrix Orbital

Faentur
LCD?

Post by Faentur »

Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it. Yes, I would like to use the connector, so if you have the part number that would be great. I have waited this long to hook it up, waiting a few more days to get the connector and do it right will certainly not kill me. I will check the voltages to see if my Mobo can handle it, but the powered hub is no problem either, as I have one very close to where I want to set the box when I am done.

Thanks again.

-Faentur

Briani
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Briani »

Hi Faentur,

The housing we use is the Tyco:1375820-4, Here is a link to the product page on Digikey:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... =A99615-ND

Please note that this is just the housing, if you use it, don't forget the crimps and probably the crimping tool (if you don't have one). I'm sure if you look around a bit, you will find a version that doesn't require crimps.

Good Luck and as always, if you have any issues or problems please don't hesitate to drop us a message.

Brian