LCD0821 - Trying to do simple display on LCD

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

mattosis
LCD?

LCD0821 - Trying to do simple display on LCD

Post by mattosis »

Hello,

We purchased a LCD0821 and I hooked it up to COM1 at 19200 using a RS-232 cable that I have tested and know it works with different devices. When I power up this device with 5V, something shows on the display (I assume it's the Matrix Orbital logo?) and just stays there. Whatever I do, I can't seem to change the screen be it characters or brightness. Am I missing something here?I have the PCB R2.0 and also trying to use the uProject Display Tuner v0.7.

Our ultimate goal is to connect this to our Neural Network smart camera to display what it reads from the internal registers. On a slightly different note, I have noticed that once in a while when powered on and off, the screen looks like some of the pixels are not being cleared properly although eventually fades back to its original state. Is this the characteristc to be expected with the LCD0821?

Thanks in adavance,

Matt

Briani
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Briani »

Hi Matt,

We have an application called uProject that we use for testing the functionality of our modules. Try connecting your LCD0821 to a PC and testing it with uProject.

Here is link to it:
http://www.matrixorbital.ca/software/so ... /uproject/

If you can't get any results with uProject drop us a message, please detail how you are using the device (I.E. How is it being powered, how it's connected to your target, etc) and we'll see what we can do to get you running.

Brian Ingwersen
Engineering
Matrix Orbital

mattosis
LCD?

Post by mattosis »

Thanks Brian,

I already downloaded and tried the uproject software that you mentioned. I uninstalled it and tried it again but with the same results.

Using test wires to start, I hooked up as follows:

PCB R2.0
Pin1 (PWR) <-> +5V from Lab DC Power Supply
Pin2 (Rx) <-> Pin2 of RS-232 cable
Pin3 (Tx) <-> Pin3 of RS-232 cable
Pin4 (GND) <-> GND from Lab DC Power Supply

The RS-232 cable is then connected to the back of my Dell Precision T3400 COM1 port. Because the default baud rate is said to be 19200, I went to device manager->Ports(COM)->Communications Port(COM1) and changed the port settings to 19200-8N1, flow control None. Under the advanced settings, i left the box checked for "Use FIFO buffers). I actually tried it with the box unchecked too but no change.

I powered on the LCD0821 and see that the Matrix logo comes on. I proceeded to run the uProject and click "Auto Detect". A status bar popped up and it appeared to be going through some detection process. Another screen pops up and shows about 4 different lines that say COM1, and 9600, 19200, 57600, and 115200. I choose the 19200, click ok, and click "Open COM". The connection status button turns blue.

From here I am at a loss. I tried going to the main section of the program and tested the "Send Text" button. nothing happened so I tried different other ones but all I see is that a sound is made as the program seems to be sending Hex codes as shown in the bottom right section of the program.

As I've seen times when RX and TX signals were swapped, I tried swapping the Pin2 and Pin3 configuration but that ended up in a result of not being able to connect so that was that. Additionally, justin case the RS-232 cable was bad, I tried connecting the dsub connector (that the LCD0821 is connected to) directly to the back of the PC. No change either.

Thanks for you help!
Matt

Briani
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Briani »

Hi Matt,

You definitely have it connected properly. Lets just walk through the uProject a little bit phase a little bit.

With the LCD0821 connected to you PC and the Power, start uProject. For now lets keep this as simple as possible, don't worry about using the autodetect, simply select the com port that is connected to your LCD0821 from the drop down menu.

Next, make sure the baud rate is set to 19200, then click the "Open COM" button. Once you click the open com button the COM status indicator should light up (Its right below to auto-detect button, center to window).

If everything goes well and the COM Port is opened, you should then be able to go into the "Main" tab. At the very top of the window, on the left hand side, there are the backlight controls. Toggle the "backlight on" check box a few times and watch to see if the backlight of the display toggles in sequence. If it does, then you know you have good communications, if it doesn't then I would suggest you send an email to suport@matrixorbital.ca where we can pick this up in a more direct manor.

One thing to note, you can use the auto detect on the "COM setup" tab, but you need to remember to make sure the com port has been opened.

Good luck
Brian Ingwersen
Engineering
Matrix Orbital

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Just an update on this:

Matt's display is now working, adding ground connection between the PC and the display did the trick.
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital