GLT series touch panel type and robustness

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

LinusDillon
LCD?

GLT series touch panel type and robustness

Post by LinusDillon »

Just saw the new GLT series modules, and I was wondering what kind of touch panel technology they use (capacitive, resistive) and what kind of conditions they will withstand (UV, water (with suitable seal), etc). Basically, would they be up to outdoor installations?

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hi LinusDillon,

Thanks for posting on the forum.
I am glad you noticed the new GLT series.

I only know one answer to your questions for now: the touch display uses a resistive panel.
Will get the rest of the answers for you.

Edit:
In order to give you more accurate and environmentally suitable answers, can you please tell me more of where you might be installing the displays?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

LinusDillon
LCD?

Post by LinusDillon »

We are interested in using these units in an outdoor enclosure (we would obviously need to seal to the edge of the touch panel suitably, but we have done similar work on 15inch touch panels). These are used for access control and logistics systems (e.g. entry of vehicle/load details by the driver).

One other issue is that we make use of Dallas tags/iButtons. Most of your other units do support this, but it seems the GLT series do not?

Frustrating as your various units get us 90% of the way there, but leave us struggling for the last 10% of what we need.

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

The 1-wire feature is something we began adding as a value added feature but in the end almost no one used the feature, so we never extended it to the graphic LCD line. It is something we could probably add to the GLT240128 as a custom build.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Briani
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Briani »

Hi LinusDillon,

As Raquel has said, the touch panel is a resistive device, its recommended operating condition is -10C to +70C at a max of 90% humidity. I don't have any spec's on the glass itself, but I have no reason to suspect that the glass isn't UV stabilized.

Generally, if you are going to use the GLT in an outdoor application I would suggest you use an environmentally sealed box with a window cut in it for the display/touch panel. The window should be sealed at the edges with a self lubricating silicon or rubber gasket that forms a snug enough seal to keep dust and moisture out of the unit. Also just as a note of warning I would not recommend using the touch panel in any areas where it is going to be deep frozen for any great periods of time (like a good old fashion Canadian winter or a freezer). The touch panel glass will become brittle below -10C and may break when pressed.

Anyways, I hope this has answered your questions. As always if you need more specific help just let us know and we'll try to get you fixed up.

Brian Ingwersen
Engineering
Matrix Orbital