VK202-25 Capacitor Problem

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

brandonh
LCD?

VK202-25 Capacitor Problem

Post by brandonh »

We ordered a VK202-25 display from you to try it out. Our intent is to put a display like this in a new product line. However, not shown in the images on your website is a capacitor, part reference C5, that sticks out beyond the screen. This is going to make it hard to mount and harder still to hide. Do they typically have this and if so can't you put a smaller profile cap on there. It looks like I would have to replace this part on every display in order to use it. Let me know if there is a solution or if this isn't typical.

Paradigm
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Paradigm »

Unfortunately we don't manufacture the PCB that the VFD is mounted to. It is provided to us as a standard part. To change that part would not be possible without substantial NRE fees.

After looking at the mechanical drawing and a physical display, I will bring the issue with the group that takes care of the diagrams and make sure that that part of future diagrams as it does change the mounting substantially.

One thing may be to consider a VFD filter. They add about 1mm of thickness to the front of the displays, which would make it taller than the capacitor.
James McTavish, P.Eng
Director of Engineering
Matrix Orbital

brandonh
LCD?

Post by brandonh »

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to get the part number for this capacitor? We are considering replacing it ourselves.

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hello Brandon,

If you look closely at the cap, you will find that its a 1uF 50V electrolytic. Unfortunately though, please understand that by doing this, you are voiding the warranty on the display modules.

What James has suggested may be the way to go, because adding in a filter will make the display taller, which should clear the capacitor if the casing needs to be flush with the display.

Best Regards,
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

brandonh
LCD?

Post by brandonh »

ESR, tolerance ...? Nothing is so tightly regulated that any 1uF 50v capacitor will do? Even so I was hoping to look at all the specs of the part. Maybe even replacing it with the exact same capacitor, but leaving the legs long enough to bend it out of the way.

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hi Brandon,

Sorry, but the displays we get from Noritake are standard parts, we do not have the specific details on the components.

The cap looks like something common and nothing special to it, so yes, you should be able to get the same and put them on sideways with long legs.

Thanks,
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital