NEW Project: 204-24-USB LCD and extras :)

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

StevenG
LCD!

NEW Project: 204-24-USB LCD and extras :)

Post by StevenG »

Hi there,

ive recently bought a LK-204 LCD online and i want to make an external display from it.

im going to have a stand made from plastic with the lcd to fit into but this is where i need the dimensions of the display area and the mounting holes.

also, i understand these lcd's need floppy connector for power, is there a way to get these lcd's powered from USB or is there not enough current to supply the screen.

i think thats all for now.

thanks for your time

StevenG
Last edited by StevenG on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Steven,

I understand you've got an LK204 unit for which you'd like to make a mount. You can grab all the dimensions of the unit from our .ca support site from either the manual or CAD file in the LK204-25 folder.

If need be, you can also purchase a mounting kit from our site which will contain an overlay you can use to cut the appropriate holes.

As for USB power, the best choice would probably to pick up the -USB version of the unit. The USB bus usually only supplies power to devices it can recognize, as a result, you probably won't be able to get enough power by modifying a cable to supply the display.

However, 5v is usually pretty easy to find on a PC power supply, so you'd be best off to take it from there.

If you've got any more questions as your project progresses, please feel free to post them.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

StevenG
LCD!

Post by StevenG »

ive just checked the model number on the back of the unit and it says "LK204-24 USB"

i notice you dont have a -24 version listed on the website? is this an older version? also.. the colour scheme on the display is black with green/white text if that helps.

the unit i bought (from a auction type forum) comes with an additional fan controller and the B204A-BK . i assume that its only the fan controller addon requires the power to run?

edit/ you know how the lcd screen has the surround, can this be covered by the mount i intend to use or is it needed for ventilation etc?

StevenG

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Steven,

The number helps, that is indeed an older display, however, all the documentation is still available.

The color scheme tells me that it might be a PLED screen, however, the description is a little vague, so it could be an inverse yellow (IY) LED unit. With the PLED type, you should note that we have experienced some longevity issues with the technology, and actually don't carry it anymore. Just something to look out for.

You are correct, you'll only need additional power, in this case 12v, if you are using the fan controller portion. You can just hook up a regular floppy cable for that.

I'm a little confused by what is meant when you say the surround, but I can tell you that the display should stay relatively cool on its own. Keep an eye on the temperature, especially if you're running fans, but it should be alright in an enclosed environment.

If you've got any other questions about the function of that new display, just let me know.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

StevenG
LCD!

Post by StevenG »

Okay so if its the LED version its okay. if its the PLED version its not as good.

i will receive the unit in my posession wednesday so can further advise on the model number / version.

so a USB verison screen can be powerd by the USB cable without any additions. thats great news :)

thanks for replies.

will get back with progress.

StevenG

StevenG
LCD!

Post by StevenG »

Rough drawings well i say rough its exactly to scale etc but the software i use is that advanced it wont let me put text onto it.

i want some text or graphic to be either engraved or cut out of the bottom part where there is a bigger gap.

i may just get Matrix Orbital written there or something but we'll see.

StevenG

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Looks amazing, especially for a rough draft :jawdrop: .

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

StevenG
LCD!

Post by StevenG »

the only thing im not sure on is the diamiter of the holes or how to attach the pcb to the plastic.

any suggestions on this would be helpful.

StevenG

StevenG
LCD!

Post by StevenG »

Okay so ive been looking through this forum and ive decided that im going to try and build some more advanced features into my lcd stand combo.

only thing is... i have NO IDEA what the lcd is capable of and what can be done..

as i understand it i can use buttons to tell software LCDC etc to run programs or set *displays* on the lcd (is this true?)

i can also use GPO's to power such things like LED's on command from the software etc? (is this true?)

i was thinking of something along the lines of having different displays attached to differnt buttons e.g. time, network stats, pc temps etc attached to different buttons (is this possible?)

is there any other general advice someone can give me with regards to adding buttons, leds and advanced features to my lcd?

any help will be Greatly apreciated at this point in development!!!

Thanks
StevenG

StevenG
LCD!

Post by StevenG »

Okay so i received my unit and its the VFD version as its a black background a lit up white text.

it has been altered to ONLY take Floppy power to turn it on. am i correct in thinking that i just need to re-solder the 2 points on the back of the pcb to get it to power from usb?

from your previous msg's am i correct in thinking that this vfd version is prone to problems?

get back to me soon. thanks
StevenG

Image[/img]

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi StevenG,

Looks like you've finally got that display, and the mounting bracket as well. Your design may need to change, however, you can also put that bracket into dual PC Bays.

For the LCDC stuff, you will probably have to talk to them directly for the most detailed info. From playing with the program, I can tell you you can display basic computer info, and change data on events.

I believe you can change the screens on the display with that keypad, as well as turn GPOs on and off, which can be used to control LEDs.

To get an idea of what the display can do you can try out our uProject software, and just mess around with LCDC.

Finally, it looks like you've got the VFD screen, which is great news as it's the most robust of the three technologies. To change the power input, just follow the directions in the manual, and you should be fine. Just be sure you power only by USB OR floppy cable, NOT both.

If you've got any more questions as you try out that display, just let me know.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

StevenG
LCD!

Post by StevenG »

ive had someone do this on a CNC machine as i decided i wanted text on my mount.

simple writing would be cool i.e not the ouline as shown above, it could be smaller, i mean as it is thats quite small but i think something along the lines of whats written on the ruler.. i.e small engraving so its visible and not that deep.

i'll probably want things like temps, network, cpu, ram etc written on the aluminum (with buttons to press to show the revelvent screen) and probably my name somewhere on it too.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Okay im happy that i have the VFD version then thats good news.

ive had a little play with the sofware and its quite good im pleased with it.

so now a few technical questions.

1) if i revert this to usb power, i just need to solder the 2 points shown on the right hand side of the pcb under the usb port?

2) if i revert it to usb power, how much current can i draw using LED's? im assuming it would power 6 led's fine?

3) regarding buttons/switches is there any guide / help with how they should be wired. i can see 14 buttons on the mount i have but only 9 wires going to the pcb. this has somewhat confused me.
-any info on this would be helpful
- Looked this up in the manual and it works on a row/column system so if i have a button which connects 1 and 1 i'd get an A, thats quite impressive to me

4) finally what kind of wiring / soldering / led's / buttons would i need? rough guide would help me out alot as im new to this kind of thing

your help so far has been great - thanks - i look forward to your reply

StevenG

StevenG
LCD!

Post by StevenG »

another question.

my display seems to be somewhat different to the documentation i can find. below are 2 pics.

*is this red filter supposed to be there or is it removable?

StevenG[/b]

Paradigm
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Paradigm »

Looks like a VK204-24-USB to me :wink: . I don't think any differences between the documentation and the physical display will get in your way, but if you have any specific questions, fire away.

The red filter on the VFD is for altering the colour. The VFD is more of a greenish colour when there is no filter, and the red filter causes it to look more black and white, at the cost of the brightness. It all depends on what you want. The filter is held in place by a ring of adhesive that is about 2mm in size around the perimeter of the plastic. You should be able to pry it off without any problems if you want. It's only there for aesthetics.
James McTavish, P.Eng
Director of Engineering
Matrix Orbital

StevenG
LCD!

Post by StevenG »

1) if i revert this to usb power, i just need to solder the 2 points shown on the right hand side of the pcb under the usb port? and un-solder the point at the bottom left?

2) if i revert it to usb power, how much current can i draw using LED's? im assuming it would power 6 led's fine running from USB only?

Update on the design;
comments please: