Need help creating and uploading a font

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

cbdane
LCD?

Need help creating and uploading a font

Post by cbdane »

Can anyone give me a tip on how to go from graphic bit maps to a font that can be uploaded by MOGD#? In other words, I'd like to be able to create my own font from scratch.

I noticed that the fonts that you can download come with a folder full of bitmaps, each named by it's ASCII code. I'm not sure why these are included but I'd like to take a set of files like these (modified or created by me) and convert them to a font file that can be uploaded to the smart display.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!!
Brent

P.S. Also, is there a manual for MOGD# that explains some of the font metrics such as "scroll start," etc. ? Thanks again.

P.P.S. If anyone is interested, I'm considering converting my motorcycle gauge from VFD to LCD. Link here:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45504

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Custom Font

Post by Clark »

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the question, good to see you are exploring the features of your LCD. You can create your own custom fonts by modifying existing ones using the 'Modify' tab in MOGD#; just find a suitable font, choose an empty character space, or one you don't really want, and click the pixels to invert their color. Remember to click 'Save' at the bottom of the screen and you'll notice that those bitmap folders now contain your own custom characters.

Hope that helps, and keep on exploring,

Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

cbdane
LCD?

Re: Custom Font

Post by cbdane »

Clark wrote:Hi Brent,

Thanks for the question, good to see you are exploring the features of your LCD. You can create your own custom fonts by modifying existing ones using the 'Modify' tab in MOGD#; just find a suitable font, choose an empty character space, or one you don't really want, and click the pixels to invert their color. Remember to click 'Save' at the bottom of the screen and you'll notice that those bitmap folders now contain your own custom characters.

Hope that helps, and keep on exploring,

Troy
Is there a way to change the vertical pixel height of the font or do I need to find a template that already has the pixel height that I am looking for? I noticed that when I try to convert a Windows font, I end up with large unused bands top and bottom.

Thanks for the quick response!!

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

That is a bug in the current version of Mogd# this will be fixed in a future update that will probably be up on our websites in a couple of weeks. If you want a whitespace size optimized font before that let me know the font and the size and I'll generate it for you and post it here.