Characters appearing when they shouldn't

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

teaman
LCD?

Characters appearing when they shouldn't

Post by teaman »

Hello

I am using an LK 162. It works fine, for example clearing the screen, writing characters etc. There is just one problem.

When I first turn it on (it is connected to a PCB with an on/off switch) I occasionally get extra characters on the screen that I did not write. This causes unpredictable operation....... how can I fix this?

Thanks

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Hi Teaman,

It is difficult for me to be certain, however it is possible that your electronics is generating garbage signals when it is initializing. If this is the case, the solution to this problem will be to "Set and Save Data Lock"** on the display before it is powered off, and then when it is powered on, the display will be locked, so it will not display any characters. Then, you can have a init routine, that will unlock the display when you are ready to communicate with it.

--
Jon

** (Please see the manual on our matrixorbital.ca website for command information)

teaman
LCD?

Post by teaman »

Hi Jon,

I would like to do what you said but the problem only occurs when I run the function LoadStartupScreen. Whatever data I put in that function will result in the characters all appearing correctly except the first one, which will be random.

Any ideas? I am using version 2.2 of the device.

Currently my init routine is:

1. load startup screen (displays first character as garbage)
2. clear lcd
3. write new startup screen by just sending the characters across (not calling the function)

Thanks