Keypad that will fit in a single 5.25 opening

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Troy
LCD?

Post by Troy »

Does Matrix Orbital or anyone else sell a keypad that will fit in a single 5.25" opening? Thanks!

-Troy

Cheese
Bit-Tech.net
Bit-Tech.net

Post by Cheese »

I take the bay insert keypad isn't good enough for you?

r.

Troy
LCD?

Post by Troy »

I'm looking for the keypad only, not one that holds the display also. I have a custom computer case with a window for the display, now i just need the keypad. Thanks!

-Troy

Cheese
Bit-Tech.net
Bit-Tech.net

Post by Cheese »

Then the answer is no...

However making one yourself shouldn't be hard... just drill some holes ina drive bay for some momentary contact switches - connect the switches so they short a keypad row and column pin and then use lcdstats to work out what letters your new keys correspond to...

Cheers,

r.

BPP
LCD!

Post by BPP »

Cheeseman,

Is there any kind of an online tutorial illustrating how to setup a customized keypad? I am very new to this and trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks!

Cheese
Bit-Tech.net
Bit-Tech.net

Post by Cheese »

On 2002-03-06 17:59, BPP wrote:
Cheeseman,

Is there any kind of an online tutorial illustrating how to setup a customized keypad? I am very new to this and trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks!
Hmmm... no I don't think there is and it's probably my fault :sad: I always intended on making a custom keypad for my glk12232-25-wbl but then I bought a 202 and the old plans went out of the window.

Tell you what, let me know what display you have and I'll wirte you a customised-especially-for-you guide on here :grin:

Cheers,

r.

BPP
LCD!

Post by BPP »

Cheeseman,

I might be getting the LK204-25PC, but I am still somewhat undecided. I may a new post a minute ago detailing what I would like to do. If you could help me out in designing a keypad for that, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!

jennyfur
LCD?

Post by jennyfur »

been digging around looking for pretty much the same thing this guy was..... a tutorial for dummies on custom keypads :wink:

I read the manual section on keypads, as well as many posts on the forums. I already understand that I'd need a momentary switch (which I'm mounting near the LCD in my drive bay) and that it would send a keypress to LCDC that I can set up to do whatever (in this case I'm controlling the backlight). I'm just a little shaky on the whole connecting/wiring part...rows and colums and such. By the way I have a LK162-12 LCD, so it's a 12 keypad interface. Is there any type of wire that already has the right kind of connector so I can just plug it right into the keypad interface? If so, which rows/colums should it connect to? I'm the visual type, even a sloppy diagram would probably make more sense to me than just trying to explain it :wink:
But ANY help is appreciated, even if only a simple explanation. Thanks.

CyPher
LCD Guru

Post by CyPher »

here's my article on a custom keypad...hope this helps

http://www.blagged-hardware.net/content ... ntrol.html

WhyPush
LCD Geek

Post by WhyPush »

Another resource would be http://mysite.freeserve.com/winamp_remote/switch.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WhyPush on 2002-05-15 06:36 ]</font>

babber
LCD!

Post by babber »

Ok, for those of you who have recently visited the link..
http://mysite.freeserve.com/winamp_remote/switch.htm
..will realise I don't know my left from my right. Now changed!!

Babber

WhyPush
LCD Geek

Post by WhyPush »

"Switch 1 is on the left and switch 8 is on the right." LOL! I hadn't noticed until you said something, I had just looked at the diagrams!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WhyPush on 2002-05-15 10:13 ]</font>

jennyfur
LCD?

Post by jennyfur »

Thanks guys! Just one thing, about the wire and connection. I see where cypher used the leftover USB wire that came with his LianLi, but babber apparently made his own. Just wondering if there's a wire similar to what cypher used that's readily available? I only have one switch to deal with so it doesn't have to be huge.

Stig
LCD Geek

Post by Stig »

For those interested, Farnell (www.farnell.com) have the same connectors that are on the USB-cable/CD audio cable.

Housing 2-way 865-606
Housing 3-way 865-618
Contacts 865-795

The housings are supplied in multiples of 10, contacts in packs with 100.

Stig

babber
LCD!

Post by babber »

When I ordered my LCD, I bought the keypad and serial cable. I then butchered them taking the connector off the keypad and cable from serial cable.

Babber