MX212 causes USB subsystem lockup on nForce4 board?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

lutorm
LCD Geek

MX212 causes USB subsystem lockup on nForce4 board?

Post by lutorm »

Hi,
I have an MX212 (or maybe 222) on a Chaintech VNF4 Ultra NForce4 Ultra board. I frequently have the problem that when the system resumes from standby, the display stops functioning. LCDC will say "Cannot open comms to COM3". When this happens, not only does the display not work, the entire USB subsystem ceases to function. Mounted USB drives disappear, new ones are not recognized when inserted, etc. The only way to recover is a reboot, which must be made by hardware since Windows will hang on the "shutting down" screen.

I've heard on the LCDC forum that others have experienced similar USB lockups on nForce boards. Can this be an issue with the matrix orbital USB driver, either by itself or in conjuction with the nForce chipsets?

Paradigm
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Paradigm »

One quick question I have: Which OS are you running, 2000, XP, Vista or other?
James McTavish, P.Eng
Director of Engineering
Matrix Orbital

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

You may want to try updating your driver with the ones on the FTDI web site:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Let me know if this helps you at all.

--
Jon

lutorm
LCD Geek

Post by lutorm »

Paradigm wrote:One quick question I have: Which OS are you running, 2000, XP, Vista or other?
XP SP2

sorry for the delay, been traveling.

lutorm
LCD Geek

Post by lutorm »

Jon wrote:You may want to try updating your driver with the ones on the FTDI web site:

Let me know if this helps you at all.
Ok, I'll try this, but what is this driver for? Is this the Matrix Orbital driver or a USB chip driver? I tried "update driver" for the MO USB Driver, but it says the FTDI driver "isn't a better match".

lutorm
LCD Geek

Post by lutorm »

I just noticed that when the usb subsystem hangs, the matrix orbital driver under USB controllers says "no drivers are installed for this device" for device status.

And it looks like this driver is the one from FTDI, so I'll try those newer drivers.

lutorm
LCD Geek

Post by lutorm »

Jon wrote:You may want to try updating your driver with the ones on the FTDI web site:

Ok, so I uninstalled the MO drivers, and when I plugged the MX in and the found new hardware wizard came up, I selected the CDM2.00.00 drivers. However, it just says "hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software". It seems it doesn't recognize that these drivers are for the MX.

I used the "usbview" application they talked about and it seems the MX has VID 0403 which is FTDI, but the PID is FA01 instead of 6001 or 6010 that seems to be what is supported. This is peculiar because when i uninstalled the MO drivers, it said "uninstalling VID 0403, PID 6001". Not sure why it seems to be different now.

Any ideas?

lutorm
LCD Geek

Post by lutorm »

Ok again (sorry to be updating this so often...)

I hacked the FTDI inf files to include PID FA01, which allows the driver to install and it even works with LCDC. However, the usb subsystem still locks up when coming out of standby.

I verified that this is caused by the MX, as either a) unplugging the MX, or, b) plugging it in but without drivers, seems to make the problem go away.

Still no solution, ie. :(

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

That is disapointing to here that the new drivers still don't help. I will notify FTDI of this issue and see if we can find a resolution that way.

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

lutorm,

FTDI has said that "this isn't a common problem as suspend / resume is essential for Winqual certification."

However, there may be some power mode settings that can be changed, these can be found on page 6 of this document.

Let me know if this helps.

--
Jon

lutorm
LCD Geek

Post by lutorm »

Hmm. I don't have any power management options for those devices...

I should add that the system suspends to S3. I don't know if the problem persists with suspend to S1.

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Has anybody else heard of similar problems?

lutorm, do you think this was related to the driver problems you had? Is there anyway you can try your display with another motherboard to see if it's just your display in particular that has the problem? (or maybe it's just with your specific motherboard)

Jeroen Vonk
LCD Guru

Post by Jeroen Vonk »

Jon wrote:Has anybody else heard of similar problems?
Not exactly the same, but close. My PK202_24_USB is connected to the USB hub in my monitor. If I turn the off monitor and then on when the USB display is connected usually all connected USB devices stop functioning. The only way to get the USB system working is a reboot. I never paid much attention to this problem, simply unplug the display, then turn off the monitor and I have no problems whatsoever.

The chipset is not an Nforce4, but an Intel i860 (maybe this makes it a bit more interesting.

lutorm
LCD Geek

Post by lutorm »

Jon wrote:lutorm, do you think this was related to the driver problems you had? Is there anyway you can try your display with another motherboard to see if it's just your display in particular that has the problem? (or maybe it's just with your specific motherboard)
Well, this is a little difficult since the display is running the fans in that computer... I have another one at home (the offending one is at work) so I can try swapping them. However, the one at home is exhibiting weirdness, too, as detailed in the hardware thread "possible mx212 failure".

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

If you could let me know the results of swapping them, I would be able to get a good indication of wether the display is faulty, or wether there is a compatiblity issue related to your motherboard.

However, I believe the 212 that you have does demonstrate a problem that could be remedied by sending in the display for repairs. And I will be able to supply you with an RMA number in order to do this. Please email me at jklassen@matrixorbital.ca and we will start the RMA process.

--
Jon