MX212 causes USB subsystem lockup on nForce4 board?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

lutorm
LCD Geek

Post by lutorm »

Jon wrote:If you could let me know the results of swapping them, I would be able to get a good indication of wether the display is faulty, or wether there is a compatiblity issue related to your motherboard.
I tried the display on the other machine (while that display is on RMA) and it works fine. I did standby/resume many many times and it never once behavied like it does on the nforce4 board...

Pikaia
LCD?

Post by Pikaia »

Hello all,

First, thanks Lutorn for opening this thread !

I think I have almost exactly the same issue than Lutorn, a kind of USB lockup occuring all the time, and not just with the standby/resume function of Windows.

I have the MX610 display, my motherboard is an A7N8X-XE with a nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset (latest version of bios 02.04, latest version - 5.10 - of Nvidia USB drivers, Matrix Orbital USB drivers 1.4). I use Windows XP SP2, everything is updated on my computer.

I usually got the issue very quickly (10 to 30 minutes after the boot), and I got a error message from LCDC (Unable To Open Communications With COMx). I have to reboot my computer to fix the issue. I have changed the USB port, without any result : I have the issue no matter the USB port used (MX610 connected directly to the motherboard wired USB port with a internal cable, or connected to the "exterior" USB port). I took great care for the routing of the USB cable (internal cable for the wired USB port or external cable for the external USB port of the motherboard). There is no fan, HD, or power supply near the USB cable.

My computer is quite clean, and I have no problem with the USB sub-system so far. I have discovered that sometimes, the MX display triggers an "ejection" of one of my USB device (a Skype Phone) from the USB sub-system. First time the device was ejected I was pretty scary, because this Skype Phone was working flawlessly. When the MX display is not plugged, I have no problem with this device. I just discovered yesterday that the MX display is also able to stop my new Archos 604, when this unit is plugged in UMS mode. When it does happen, my archos drive is not detected when attached, or is not recognized when inserted again.

So I'm pretty frustrated with this issue, and my superb LCD display is more or less useless. According to discussion in the LCDC forums, I'm pretty sure that the MX display/MX USB drivers send some anormal message in the UBS sub-system, causing complete disruption with some USB device (USB Phone, Archos 604 in UMS mode), and triggering the "Unable To Open Communications With COMx" issue with LCDC.

I will try the new 2.0 drivers and I will keep you inform :wink:

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Hi Pikaia,

If you are having trouble with the 2.0 drivers have a look at this thread.

I hope this will help you. (please let me know if you still have problems)

--
Jon
Last edited by Jon on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pikaia
LCD?

Post by Pikaia »

Ok, I have a good news and a bad news !

First, I successfully installed the 2.0 drivers, thank to Jeroen Vonk's procedure :D

Bas news is : the problem is still here with the 2.0 drivers, one hour after the installation, I got a complete lockup of my MX610 displays, and a crash of the LCDC program, with this error message :

"LCDC raised continuable exception and still will continue operating" (-> in fact not, a crash occured almost immediately).
"Exception was : WriteFile function failed (win error code: 5)"
"Get last error : acc

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Hi Pikaia,

I will see if I can find anything else to help. :-? Can you confirm that you have the newest version of LCDC? (if you don't it wouldn't hurt to try uninstalling your LCDC and downloading the new one from their website)

If anybody has any thoughts on this I am open to suggestions.

--
Jon

Pikaia
LCD?

Post by Pikaia »

I am currently using the last version of LCDC (1.07 build 35), but I have also made some test with the previous version (1.06 build 33).

Just before the installation of the 2.0 drivers, I installed the last version of LCDC (1.07 build 35), and just during the lockup, I got some errors messages (see my previous message). It was a surprise for my, because with the exception of the "Unable to open communications with COMx" message after a restart of LCDC, I usually got no message. Indeed, with the 1.4 drivers, I only get a freeze of the MX610 display, and the LCDC program becomes unstable, with no error message.

I was sure that these messages were related to the new version, but after a rollback to the previous version of LCDC (1.06 build 33), I also got errors messages from LCDC during the lockup. Apparently, the 2.0 drivers are more clean, and with these drivers, LCDC is able to display an error message before crashing.

Jeroen Vonk
LCD Guru

Post by Jeroen Vonk »

Pikaia wrote:I am currently using the last version of LCDC (1.07 build 35), but I have also made some test with the previous version (1.06 build 33).
Two little thoughts you might want to try. Try increasing the PCI latency timer, it might help. If this doesn't help, try resetting the BIOS to defaults if you haven't tried that before...

If it simply is impossible to get the display to work and you have a PCI slot available, why not get a PCI USB controller? It only costs a few dollars. I agree it is not the most elegant solution, but it will probably get the display and LCDC to work.

Hope this helps.....

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Hi Pikaia,

There is something more that you may want to try.

1. Check for the newest bios release for your motherboard, then reflash your mobo with the newest release.

2. Go to Nvidia.com and download the chipset drivers from there, and install those drivers.

Let me know if this helps at all.

--
Jon

Pikaia
LCD?

Post by Pikaia »

Hello all !

Thanks for your advices. I already have the latest bios and chipset drivers for my (old but not so old) motherboard. I have also reset many times the bios during previous installation of devices in my computer.

Yesterday I made some research about my new error message displayed by LCDC with the 2.0 drivers ( "WriteFile function failed win error code: 5" ).

I found this topic concerning the WriteFile error message :

http://forums.lcdc.cc/lofiversion/index.php?t2774.html

The topic mentions the common cable interference issue, and an user observe the issue during hibernating his PC (sort of standby I guess).

Another user have an interesting comment concerning GPO :

"i tested it for 12 hours , it didnt crash so i left it running for 2 days...NO writefile error. Then, i connected 2 fan to the Mo s Gpos, 2 hours later it crashed So....i put my screen back again as i did the first time, but this time with no fans attached to the gpos .... since then i have not had a single error ..."

I was interesting, because I (successfully) use the GPO of my display to monitor the RPM of two fans (these fans are controlled by another device, and the only cable attached to the MX610 display is the RPM cable). So I disconnected the two fans cables from the GPO and ... lockup again.

And then I was staring at the only device still connected to my display : a single Dallas wire, installed for monitoring the temperature of the south bridge chipset of my motherboard. So, I disconnected the wire too, and for the moment (approximately one day), ... I am still waiting for a lockup :D

After four months of lockup, it is a real breakthrough !

I need more time to be sure that the issue have been fixed. In fact, I already observe one problem with the SkyPhone (no initialization of the Phone during the boot, fixed by a plug/unplug), so it is well possible than the 2.0 drivers are robust, but not perfect for my system.

I will keep you inform, and I cross my fingers. But to be honest, the lockup generally occurs within one or two hours after the boot, and often happens during heavy charge of CPU/GPU (gaming). I played a lot tonight without any problem, and I have the feeling that the lockup issue is gone.

If I am correct, I need to find the root cause. Is the dallas wire broken ? (but this dallas wire is well able to display temperature ...). If I plug again the two fans cables, will the lockup arise again or not ? Is there a problem with the MX610 itself ? Or LCDC ? Is the dallas wire responsible for the USB subsystem disruption with the 1.4 drivers ? Or maybe the two issues (USB subsystem disruption and lockup of the MX610) are totally independant ? :wink:

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Hi Pikaia,

If you would like to give me an email at jklassen@matirxorbital.ca we can arrange for you to swap your display for a new one, and then see if that solves the problem.

Then once you return the one you have we will do some tests on it to see if we can reproduce the problem here.

--
Jon

lutorm
LCD Geek

Post by lutorm »

If we can get back to MY problem, thread hijacker! ( :wink: )

I just realized that I have a PCI USB card lying around, so I decided to connect the display to that instead of to the nforce4 onboard USB, and it appears this has also fixed the problem! :D It does appear to be an issue with the nforce.

Paranthetically (rant mode on), I must say that I'm not impressed at all with Nvidia, I don't know why people are raving about them. On this machine, the onboard USB is apparently giving problems. I also can't use the onboard ethernet since it keeps hanging. The video card hard crashes machine when playing movies if two DVI displays are connected. Another nforce machine that runs Linux has also had sporadic ethernet failures.

Or maybe it's motherboard devices in general, my other machine is an Intel 975 motherboard, and there I also have trouble with the onboard ethernet that loses connections when resuming from standby, and the onboard sound crashes the machine... I guess I should just go for cheap motherboards with no onboard devices and many PCI slots. :evil:

(rant mode off)

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Hi lutorm,

I would agree 110%. I have purchased 2 nforce motherboads in the last month.

The first one, call it mobo1, the onboard network card stopped working pretty much out right, I delt with it, put in a PCI network card, and continued to use it. Then one day I go to turn on the mobo, and it doesn't post. I send it back to the manufacturer, get it back and the network card apears to work, but when I try to play any video games it just crashes, so I put the PCI network card back in and then i can play games again. (albeit after at least 2 days of trying to download new drivers, reinstalling things, and trying to find the problem... all I had to do was not use the onboard device)

The second motherboard, (also a 939 chipset) by a completly different manufacturer (also a nforce board), everything seemed to be working great until one day, it doesn't turn on. This mobo is still sitting in my home office, I will return it soon. But the moral of this story is, there is antidotical evidence that suggests these nforce chipsets are not very reliable. So I am with you, purchase a board with lots of PCI slots. (however the problem with that is if you have SLI, the two pci express slots take up most of the room and leave you with max 3 pci slots).

Pikaia... I hate to blame it on Nvidia, but if you can try a PCI USB card it might be your motherboard that's causing the problem.

--
Jon

Pikaia
LCD?

Post by Pikaia »

Hello all, and sorry for the hijacking ! :D

Concerning the Nforce, it is clear that these chipset are not very reliable, your examples proove it, as well as others horrible stories (for example Maxtor SATA disks :cry: ).

To be honest, I use Nforce now because my previous motherboard was powered by a VIA chipset. Everything was fine, until the day I exchanged my FX5900 Geforce card for a 6800 Geforce card. Every pixel in my screen was corrupted ! This problem has been well documented on the Internet, but we got no response from VIA, and the only workaround was to replace the VIA chipset by a Nforce chipset ! So I change my A7V8X for a A7N8X ... Sad, very sad.

Ok, enough complaining about this, I will buy a USB PCI card tomorrow and try this solution. I will keep you inform, even if it is not my thread :wink:

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Pikaia,

Sounds like a good idea... Save your reciept for the USB PCI card in case it doesn't help.. just in case then u can just bring it back or exchange it or something (check the store policies...) :wink:

--
Jon

Pikaia
LCD?

Post by Pikaia »

Just a few words to tell you that my long time issue has been solved by a USB PCI card. Go to hell Nvidia.

Happy new year ! :D