TTL connections on GLC24064

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

SaintAK
LCD?

TTL connections on GLC24064

Post by SaintAK »

The manual doesn't really go in depth into this subject. What do i need to solder? Once it is soldered can I interface it with my com1 on my computer port or would i have to unsolder and resolder connections. Also do i need to move jumpers around? This is all the manual really says about this:
Note that this device complies with the EIA232 standard in that it uses signal levels from

Michael Zoran
LCD!

Post by Michael Zoran »

RS-232 is the standard for COM1. If you want to connect the display to COM1 the manual is saying that you don't need to make any modifications.

SaintAK
LCD?

Post by SaintAK »

I apologize if i sound confusing. I'm hooking this LCD up to an atmega16. But I might still want to connect it up with my computers com1 for download bitmaps and such. The atmega is running on TTL levels.

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

I think the most sensible thing I can say about this is "Its a pain in the butt". I have in the past soldered straight jumper block posts on boards for this purpose. I have not needed it in some time, but I heard a rumor that at the very least, the size of the solder jumpers and the spacing of jumper blocks might match well enough to make it a viable plan of action.

Anyone know if this is true?

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Hi SaintAK,

Sorry for the trouble, I'm in the process of updating the GLC24064 manual as we speak so I will have to make sure I pay specific attention to this portion. (thank you for brining it to my attention)

In order to communicate via TTL (through the RS-232 connector) please reference the attached picture. The jumpers in this picture are set to the default values. You must remove the solder from jumper 1 and 3, and place solder on jumpers 2 and 4.

Edit: Hey Aniso, posted at the same time as you. But I couldn't say wether that would work either way.
Attachments
Display-Back-Close-up.jpg
Display-Back-Close-up.jpg (78.55 KiB) Viewed 5888 times

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

From your photo, it doesn't look very inviting to that solution. I've done it, but pins sticking up from the board held in place by nothing but solder - especially in twos - is a little ugly...

I believe that some of our other boards have a slightly better layout for that.

You could, I suppose, run wires out to a piano switch crazy glued to the edge of the board - done that too...

SaintAK
LCD?

Post by SaintAK »

I really do appreciate all the help. I've decided to go with a MAX233 chip. I've been working in my school lab for the last couple of days trying to get the baud rate to match. It's been a pain to say the least. It should be easy but every project needs its problems, and I'm just glad i was able to work it out. Thanks for all the help. lata