MX 512 on fire!!!!!

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

azadragon
LCD?

MX 512 on fire!!!!!

Post by azadragon »

Hello everyone :)

I just bought my new mx 512 (vfd) from Germany and i decided to plug it in externally for some testing.

After I pluged in the external usb cable, the device wasnt powering up so I decided to change the cable with a spare one that i had. There was still nothing so I checked the forums and saw that it would be a good idea to connect the a floppy connector to the screen. And so I did...connect the SUPPLIED floppy connector.

The screen powered up beatifully and the new hardware wizard came up. I installed drivers v 14 i found here with no problems at all.

So...I run LCDC and i press autoetect. My screen was autodetected on COM7 and the driver version or something came on the screen. I presses 'test screen' and nothing happened. At the same time i notice that despite the fact that my screen was detected on COM7 LCDC has registered the screen in COM1.

I move my mouse cursor to the window to see whats happening but before i try to do anything I realise that one of the components on the top of the pcb is smoking! I try to disconect the screen and just before i do the component gets on fire :o

The component is a small rectangular 'box' in the very top of the pcb, closer to the left edge and very close to the external usb connector (which caught a bit of fire as well). The component eventually turned white.

This is not looking very good :cry:

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention that the unit came with the power jumper set on 'high power'. It stayed there for all the testing period (thats about 1 min)

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Hello Azadragon,

Please contact me at myero@matrixorbital.ca and I will resolve this situation immediately. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

azadragon
LCD?

Post by azadragon »

This is mailny for prepspective byers.

I 've been fidling with systems for 12 years now, and I can say without doubt that I 've NEVER encountered better technical support than the guys in Matrix Orbital.

I was living in London when all of the above happened, and after tech support contacted me I received a new display with a courrier service, shipped from the US. It was in perfect working condition. Despite for being REDICUSLY fast, m.o. tech support managed to do the two most important things an end-user can expect:

1) They calmed me down effectively after my hardware destruction (which i bought with my hard-earned money) and...

2) They replaced the product with ABSOLUTELY no hassle. No lies (wich shows respect to the client), no unessesary charges, NO DELAYS, no complex procedures, and they included free goodies for my 'invonvinience'.

God. If 'incovience' with computer hardware was dealt like that then the word would dissapear from computer market (how many of you have struggled for months with your defective mobo???)

Honestly guys, you just earned a dedicated byer. I am very suprised with the QoS of your company. And I am going to recomend m.o. to anyone.

Now concerning my display, i havent fully tested it yet (eg. digital baybus) but till now i am 100% satisfied with it.

A big thank you again from a totally happy customer:D