Question Regarding MX212 and Fan Control

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

rollins
LCD?

Question Regarding MX212 and Fan Control

Post by rollins »

Hey guys, just recently became the happy owner of an MX212 and LCDC.

Just have a quick question regarding the controlling of fan speeds using the above.

I have recently purchased an akasa Eclipse 212, which can support 2 120mm fans. I've got adaptors etc to connect to the MX212, and the software is set up right (I think).

I've also got one 92mm fan which will be used as the fan on my thermalright SI97.

My questions is, is there a way to control the fan speed using the keypad buttons on the MX212. I've read the documentation that came with the LCD, but nothing really is apparent. The floppy drive power is attached, and the computer is in mid build, so I cant really test it all yet. I was just curious if there was a preset button config to adjust fan speeds?

Thanks guys

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Hi rollins,

thanks for dropping by and I'm glad you are enjoying our product, to anwser your question, yes you can. The way to do it is under events is where the keypad is setup, so lets say you want the up arrow key to speed up and down to slow down.

Step #1:

1. Configure/Test --> Advanced MXx Features --> GPO PWM/RPM control
2. Set the Advanced control to Manual, set in screen builder

Step #2

1. So the letter K is the up arrow key, under action is should say MUL -> VOLUME UP change that to Gpo -> Advanced -> Increase PWM, the GPO Number and by how much, say 10%.
2. Do the same with the Down key and there you go.
3. You can get fancy by creating a screen as well that shows you the PWM, even a bargraph while you are changing it.

Hope this explains it.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

rollins
LCD?

Post by rollins »

Thats perfect Henry. Answers everything I need.

One question tho, do the steps outlined below have to be set for each GPO. Ideally, I would like that when GPO1 is diplayed on the 212, then the keypad controls that GPO. When GPO2 is displayed, then GPO2 is controlled etc. Do you know if this is possible at all? Because of the size of the fans, I was worried if full power is used on all 3 fans, it may have a detrimental effect to the LCD. I'm not sure what the maximum wattage useable on each GPO is.

I did read a lot of reviews etc of the MX212, and it seemed perfect for my needs. I take it that the intital problems with the fans not starting till LCDC was running in Windows were resolved. In one review I read, the bridge on the 12V power in on the MX wasnt soldered, but I've had a good look at my model, and there is a little resistor I think in place there. I have read a few comments that now when power is switched onto the PC, the fans all start at 100%, and then when LCDC is loaded, this then takes control of preset fan speeds.

I'm at work at the moment (Nightshift, lucky me) but I'm looking forward to Saturday, so I can get building the new PC.

So far, a very happy customer!

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Hi Rollins,

Yes the steps outlined are suppose to be set for each individual GPO.

It is possible to program the fan to turn on after the screen.

Event: Sys->On After Screen
Screen: screen name
Action:GPO->Advanced->Set pwm
GPO & %:1 ,100

Each header is rated at a maximum 12V 1000mA(12W). You will be fine as long as each fan isn't above the rating.

I hope this helps you out.

Best Regards, :D

HighLife
LCD?

Post by HighLife »

Awesome....just ordererd my orbital and this was my very first question. Now im hoping the one im getting doesnt have the power on problem.
A64 (Winnie) 3200+ @ 2.45 (245x10)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
TT Silent Boost / Sunon 45cfm Fan
2x 512 PQI-PC3200 (TCCD) 1:1
PNY Geforce 6800nu @ 370/840 (12x6)
2x WD 120GB SATA
Audigy 2 Platinum - Z-560's
CoolerMaster Praetorian / Antec True430w

rollins
LCD?

Post by rollins »

Well Highlife, if its any help, I got my fans set up, and when I turn the PC on, all fans operate at 100% without fail. Perfect.

Then, when LCDC loads, I can then set all fans to whatever speed % I want. I even managed to get the display to show the RPM of GPO1, and then just the percentage bar of GPO2 and 3, as they do not have an rpm connection.

What i did at the end of it was to program the up and down keypad buttons to control GPO1, the left and right for GPO2 and the F1 and F2 pads for GPO3. This way I can get complete control of fan speed without having to wait for screens. What I will try and do now is set it so that when the keypad button is pressed, the relevent display of fan speed is shown for 3 seconds.

Its good fun though :D

HighLife
LCD?

Post by HighLife »

rollins wrote:Well Highlife, if its any help, I got my fans set up, and when I turn the PC on, all fans operate at 100% without fail. Perfect.

Then, when LCDC loads, I can then set all fans to whatever speed % I want. I even managed to get the display to show the RPM of GPO1, and then just the percentage bar of GPO2 and 3, as they do not have an rpm connection.

What i did at the end of it was to program the up and down keypad buttons to control GPO1, the left and right for GPO2 and the F1 and F2 pads for GPO3. This way I can get complete control of fan speed without having to wait for screens. What I will try and do now is set it so that when the keypad button is pressed, the relevent display of fan speed is shown for 3 seconds.

Its good fun though :D

How many fans you have on each channel, i wonder if its safe to run 2-80mm fans on each of the 2 channels, for a total of 4.
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
2x WD 120GB SATA

rollins
LCD?

Post by rollins »

Well:

GPO1: 1 YStech 92mm
GPO2: 1 YSTech 120mm
GPO3: 1 YSTech 120mm

So I think that 2 80mm fans on one GPO will be fine, as long as their total specs dont go over Maximum rated as mentioned by Tom.

Jan Kerssen
LCD Geek

Post by Jan Kerssen »

Trying to be helpful: you also can use the HOTKEYS Plugin to control things from your keyboard so the keypads can still be used for the standard events like volume up/down or emailcheck.
To control 3 GPO's you need 6 events (3xup/down) to link to the screens also 6 events. Very nice to use is Dsp->Momentary Screen, afterwards the program will cycle from where it was at that time.
Enjoy, Jan

HighLife
LCD?

Post by HighLife »

Thanks for the help, should be here tomorrow....cant wait to get it plugged in and ready.

Im going to get the LED indicator something later on and drill it to fit my 3.5" face.

It will fit a 3.5" face right? (indicator i mean)

I was probaly just use the fan headers, since they have the buttons right there.
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
2x WD 120GB SATA