LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

tb2000
LCD?

cpu getting hot

Post by tb2000 »

Hi,

I'm new here and this is my first post.
I tried searching but couldn't find the answer, so my question is this: A while ago i bought a Matrix Orbital MX222, and promptly installed it, along with LCDC. I noticed my CPU temperature went up by about 6-8 degrees, so I put everything on lowest cpu usage (2fps). It didn't make any difference to the cpu usage or temperature, so i just left it at that. Just tonight I noticed there's another program called LCD Smartie, so I tried that. However, it hasn't made any difference and the cpu temperature still skyrockets up to almost 50oC which is hot compared to what it normally runs (41/42oC average). 50oC is normally it's top whack under full load, but with the MX222 running it put's it over 50oC by quite a bit.

So what i'm asking is is this normal for it to make the temperatures go up so much, or am I doing something wrong? If it's normal operation, is there any other way for me to lower my CPU temps? The heatsink on my cpu (A64 3500+) is a big one with a 120m fan on it so there no problem there.
The MX222 is plugged straight into the USB port 2, 19200 baud rate.

Many thanks in advance :)

P.S. (I apologise if this is in the wrong forum section :oops: )

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Hi,

Thank you for posting at the forums.

The display does not take many resources to increase the temperature that much. LCDC also doesn't take much resources to run either. You do have a quick CPU, so it must dissipate a lot of heat, but I cannot see that the MX222 has any factor into why your CPU temperature has increased so drastically, and I have not seen any other instances. I suggest you check if any of your other devices are causing any of the increase in heat dissipation.

Also I can suggest using more fans in your case in conjunction with the MX222. You can have the fan turn on when the CPU reaches a certain temperature.

Best Regards,

bladerunner
LCD!

Post by bladerunner »

Use "Ctrl+Shift+Esc" to find out what is running and using up the CPU cycles.

tb2000
LCD?

Post by tb2000 »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I noticed that if I went into LCDC and clicked the stop display button to stop the display, the temp went back down to 42oC, if I click start display again the cpu temp goes back up. I already have three fans in the system, one pointing at the hard drive, one sucking in cool air on the side of the case and one blowing out hot air on the back. The psu is an Akasa 460w which has a 120mm fan in it as well so that should help a bit.

From what I've found it seems to be whenever I start the display, but I can't make my mind up whether it's something to do with the actual LCDC program or something to do with the display itself. I was thinking of reinstalling Windows (as it could do with doing) and seeing if that makes any difference but it's a lot of mucking about to find it makes no difference.
What I might do is get one of my old spare hd's out (I think I got a 800mb one somewhere!) and put a clean install on that with just the basic needed drivers and LCDC on it.

Oh, I run Win98SE if that makes any difference (I can't get on with WinXP for some reason but I might try it again at some point).

Jan Kerssen
LCD Geek

Post by Jan Kerssen »

Quote: "The MX222 is plugged straight into USB port 2".
Do you mean COM port 2? If so you will have to disable Serial port 2 in Windows or chose a Comport number above 3 to communicate to the display. Regards, Jan

Mat-Moo
LCD Guru

Post by Mat-Moo »

Are you using cool'n'quiet on the motherboard for them AMD64?
## # Mat # ##
LCDC - Drive it to the edge baby!
http://www.lcdc.cc
Matthew@DPS.uk.com
DPS Ltd. (Not MO!)

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

mat-d-rat wrote:Are you using cool'n'quiet on the motherboard for them AMD64?
??? Is this PWM for the CPU fan control?
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Mat-Moo
LCD Guru

Post by Mat-Moo »

No, the AMD 64 can go into a kinda sleep mode that keeps it cool while it's not doing any intensive operations. I'm sur I had a similar problem, and turned off my cool'n'quiet on the mb because I didn't like the ranage of temps the CPU was going through (Idled at about 35 thn as soon as I started anything up to 44 maxing at 55). So I turned it off and just idle it at 44 now.
## # Mat # ##
LCDC - Drive it to the edge baby!
http://www.lcdc.cc
Matthew@DPS.uk.com
DPS Ltd. (Not MO!)