Large LCD or small VFD?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

ThomP
LCD?

Large LCD or small VFD?

Post by ThomP »

I need a display for a HTPC (placed in the living room). The display needs to be readable from a distance (2-3 m) and multiple angles.

I have read that VFD is generally easier to read than LCD, but the VFD displays from Matrix Orbital are very small (only 4,7 mm character height). An LCD display from C**********z has a character height of 7,3 mm, so I was wondering, which of these displays will be easiest to read? - I realise this may not be the best place to look for completely objective answers, but I don't know where else to ask...

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Hi Thomp,

Thank you for posting.

The character VFDs and LCDs both use a 5x7 dot matrix font. If you want something brighter, go with the VFD. If you want something with bigger fonts, maybe you can think about use a graphics lcd, so you can upload your own size of fonts, but they won't be as bright.

Feel free to look at any of the manuals for more detailed information at http://www.matrixorbital.com/pages/manuals.asp.

If you have anymore questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards, :D

Adam
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Adam »

Our VK202-25 and VK202-24-USB units are used fequently in HTPC cases. One manufacturer has specified our 20x2 VFD for use in there cases. The VFD would be the way to go for your application.
Adam L.
Sales Manager
Matrix Orbital

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat.

ThomP
LCD?

Post by ThomP »

Thanks, I might go for the VFD2041. I'm still a bit concerned about the size, though - couldn't you make a bigger version :wink: :wink:

ThomP
LCD?

Post by ThomP »

Ok, now I'm a little confused :-?

I checked the web-site specs and the pictures for VFD2041 and VK204-25, and I thought they were almost identical (same size, same color, almost same backlight strength). But when I read the specs in the manuals it seems like there are some major differences:

Visible display size: The VFD2041 is 6 mm larger (both vertical and horizontal) and the characters are larger as well.

Power usage (backlilght strength?): The VK has a typical usage of 220 mA, the VFD only uses 11 mA!

Color: The VK is Blue/green, the VFD is Yellow green.

The manual (VFD2041) also mentions some options which are not available in the shop (color options).

Which info is correct? Could you give me a (subjective) opinion on the look of the VFD2041 compared to the VK204 with regards to size, color and readability?