MX222 - Dallas 1-wire Probe Problems

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

DJJ123
LCD?

MX222 - Dallas 1-wire Probe Problems

Post by DJJ123 »

I recently purchased a Matrix Orbital MX222 and connected a Dallas 1-wire probe and 3 fans. Everything works fine until I try to connect additional 1-wire probes. All the 1-wires work fine when connected on their own (using any available connector), but when I connect 2 or more, LCDC will only find the 1-wire on the topmost GPO connector.

I don't know if this has something to do with power, but bearing in mind this is coming from a standard floppy connector on the power supply itself, I wouldn't've thought this was a problem.

Please help!

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

I duplicated your situation, but I couldn't get the same result.

DJJ123
LCD?

Dallas 1-wire Probes

Post by DJJ123 »

Tom

Thank you for your response.

Regarding the situation with my MX222, I can't even get more than one 1-wire probe working when I disconnect all 3 fans from the unit so power can't be an issue.

I'm using the latest version of LCDC (v1.06.30), which detects my display as "LK202-24-USB or MX2xx Rev 1.3". Even though I have a rev 2.1 unit, this still works correctly because the next nearest option listed below this ("LK204-24-USB or MX2xx") does not allow support for advanced GPO features.

I've double-checked all that I said in my previous message and that all 1-wires are fully inserted, but still get the same results. If it turns out that their is a fault with my unit, I won't be going through the hassle of returning it for replacement because I can live without the additional temperature sensing if need be. Also, everything else works fine.

I realise I can return the 1-wires that the unit is failing to recognise in pairs or above, but as they work, that isn't the issue. It's a shame that the cost of 1-wires is so extortionate considering they are only 3 electrical wires with a temperature sensor - all dirt cheap materials that have been around for donkeys years.

Is there any possiblility that there could be a problem with LCDC not truly recognising the latest firmware revision of the board and its corresponding features?

DJ

DJJ123
LCD?

MX222 (Rev 2.1) Jumper

Post by DJJ123 »

Tom

One other thing - what does the jumper on the back of the MX222 actually do? So far I have had no need to change it from the default leftmost position and can find no apparent information on it, but it stands to reason that it must need changing under certain circumstances else it wouldn't be there!

Regards
DJ

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

There can possibly be a software problem. You can try to find out some information on the LCDC forum posted below.

http://forums.lcdc.cc/

The jumper on the far left is to set the GPOs to high power which is a 12V 1A maximum output. If you set the jumper to the right your GPO is 5V 150mA maximum output.

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

Sorry to interject here, but it sounds impossible, so I have a suggestion.

DJJ123, Are you sure that what you said in the first post is always true? For 3 probes, have you tried all 6 combinations using 2 of 3 at a time? I just want to make sure that a casual observation has not led you to mistakenly think that there is something special about the first connector (there isn't). It is far more likely that one of the probes is faulty (maybe even an intermittant connection).

Try 2 probes, but don't even use the first connector. What happens?
Now reverse those 2 probes. What happens?
If only one was working in either case, replace one and do it all again.
If that is no better, then put the last one back and take the other one out.

Maybe before you get into all this, though, have a close look at the probes and see if anything looks funky.

Of course, if there is a software issue, ignore all that.

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Inherently this a very unusual situation. Since all digital temperature probes are connected to the same one wire bus, the possiblities of error are very limited... :-? Like Aniso said, there is nothing "special" about GPO 1 and all combinations need to be explored... :)
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

DJJ123
LCD?

Dallas 1-wire Problems

Post by DJJ123 »

First of all, I would like to say thank you very much to Tom, Aniso, and Miles at Matrix Orbital.

I am pleased to report that I've now resolved the issues I was having connecting more than one 1-wire. It turns out that the offending article was the 1-wire I initially purchased with the MX222. For some strange reason it was quite happy to be connected on its own to any of the 1-wire GPO sockets, but was loathe to accept the company of other 1-wires!

Bearing the above in mind, the other three 1-wires I have are now quite happy to function alongside each other and the rogue sensor has now been demoted to the rank of Spare Wiring. I've also discovered that the temperature range on the culprit wire was inaccurate compared to the other three 1-wires.

Thanks once again.

Regards
DJ

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

I'm happy to hear it works. If you have anymore questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me. :D