GX Won't Wake from S3 Sleep... Help please...

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

bkripley
LCD?

GX Won't Wake from S3 Sleep... Help please...

Post by bkripley »

My GX won't wake up after sleep mode. Everything else on my machine is fine, all other USB device included.

Once I come out of sleep (S3), the GX is completely black. I can't get the LCD Defaults Config Utility to find it either, press refresh and there is nothing in the box to select.

LCD Studio can't find it... Nothing but a dead looking LCD , no signs of life at all.

Device Manager finds it and says it's working fine. Shows driver version 2.0.0.1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
EVGA X58 Classified 4-way SLI
I7 975

Anything else needed to help figure this out?

bkripley
LCD?

Additional Info...

Post by bkripley »

When I Restart, the GX is found, the default screens display, but LCDStudio won't send data to the LCD... When I open LCDS, and select the Display Configuration Wizard, nothing is shown in the Display Selection area...

I have to remove the software and re-install it to get the GX to work with the software again. AND it will only work until the next Sleep occurs!!!

Seems a bit involved and counter-productive to have to Restart after each Sleep, and then re-install the software....

Any suggestions?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Well not a proper solution but something i'd like you to try, when you go to the services panel (right click my computer, manage) and restart the drivercore service does the display come to life again?

bkripley
LCD?

Post by bkripley »

Thanks Ray for replying.

I tried restarting the service, then went back into LCDStudio. When I click on Display Wizard, there are no options in the box to select.

If I reinstall the software (don't even need to Uninstall it first), the the wizard works fine. I can reselect my default playlist, exit and play and all is fine.

Any more ideas for me to try?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Try closing lcdstudio (make sure the lcdstudio.exe does not show anymore in the task manager) copy on this original settings file and try again, does the list populate then?
Attachments
Settings.xml
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 869 times

bkripley
LCD?

Post by bkripley »

Thanks again, I did this and it will indeed refresh the list so I can select the GX again, then turn on the Everest options, then select my playlist and exit and play.

Does that help figure out the problem?

mrossco
LCD?

Post by mrossco »

bkripley wrote:Does that help figure out the problem?
It looks like activity on the forums is dying. Windows 7 is no longer beta and is selling like hotcakes. People are getting restless on the forums.

Is there any way some pieces of the source code can be opened up? I had originally purchased my GX because my existing display had some issues with the remote, and this one includes a standard MS IR header (I can use any Media Center compatible remote). But, I'm having the same problem as bkripley with my display. To say the least, this display is not very fun to work with on Windows 7.

So, I'd like to help. I have some WDK experience and years of C++ and .NET under my belt. Anything I can do to get this thing working with my Windows Media Center PC in my living room.

Thanks!

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

The activity on the forums is dying and people are getting restless? Aren't those two mutually exclusive ? As for opensourcing this is unlikely to happen , sorry.

mbreslin
LCD?

Post by mbreslin »

Some kind of workaround to make the display come back after sleep would be awesome. Just adding to the thread to let devs know many people would like this fixed maybe enough so that it becomes a priority.

Aloha
LCD Guru

Post by Aloha »

I also have this problem and would like some workaround. Restarting drivercore does not help.

kernop
LCD?

Post by kernop »

Well have had my GX tri colour for a couple of weeks. I purchased it to replace the rubbish that comes with the Antec fusion black case.
The quality of the unit is not in question, the display is very good, when its on that is. I have the dreaded sleep issues along with no integration in Windows 7 Media Centre makes this possibly the worst £100 I have spent in a long time.
I wished I had done some research before hand as this would have saved me some money. There also does not seem to be any support for these units and the last post on this forum is some time ago.
I hope this changes as I would like to get this working with Win7 Media Centre to display what is going on. Just getting the display to come on after sleep would be a start at least I could look at the clock.

Can anybody help?

Most upset

Paul

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Paul,

You are correct, the GX hardware has been extremely reliable...as for the rest, please ensure you have downloaded the latest drivers and software from http://www.matrixorbital.ca/software/GX/softwarepacks/.

I can't confirm that your specific sleep issue is the one discussed in the release notes, but I do know this release has improved the GX experience.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

kernop
LCD?

Post by kernop »

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the quick response, sadly these are the drivers and software I am currently using.
The only way I can get anything to display is with a reboot then load the playlist manually does not seem to remember the one specified in the startup section. This situation is no good for a HTPC as the whole thing revolves around being suspended until a scheduled recording is to take place.
I do not really understand the lack of Media Centre intergration either. There are a ton of plugins for various what i class as old software products that have been long superseded. I would have thought the main reason for purchasing a high quality screen would be for an HTPC to emulate a Tivo or sky box maybe I am missing something?

kernop
LCD?

Post by kernop »

OK may have a solution to the wake issue :D At the very least should allow you to run a design of your own. Pity about the media centre integration.

Anyway I have this working on my HTPC and this is how I done it.
After messing about with various driver combinations to no avail I stripped it all out LCD Studio Driver core the lot and basically reinstalled everything with the latest drivers until I got the GX Defaults package to work. This did take a number of goes for some reason???

Once this is down you need a program from Slick Solutions called MCE Standby Tool. A lot of people might be already using it if not get it from here http://slicksolutions.eu/downloads.shtml I am using the beta version. Once installed click on the USB tab and select Disable selective USB suspend and ForceHCResetOnResume. This is the combination I have used and it works a treat as it effectively resets the USB bus on resume, which in turn kicks the drivercore back to life. 8)

This has worked for me and I have tested it over a few days and am well chuffed. Just on a side note I disabled all the plugins I was not using in LCD studio as I had problems with that starting up as configured. Might just be coincidence but every little helps.

So if people have not given up on their LCD unit (not many new posts here are there?) then give this a go hopefully it will work for you as well.

Kind Regards

Paul[/img]

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Excellent Paul, I'm glad your GX is waking up more reliably now, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your fix with other users (though they may be a quiet bunch there are many out there).

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital