GLK12232-25-WBL - problems communicating with HyperTerminal

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

stuartp
LCD?

GLK12232-25-WBL - problems communicating with HyperTerminal

Post by stuartp »

Hi

I have recently purchased the GLK12232-25-WBL, and have wired up the unit as follows.

Pin 7 - GND (both power supply and RS232 Ground)
Pin 8 - LCD Rx
Pin 9 - LCD Tx
Pin 10 - +5V

The cable is one I made myself.

My power supply is running slightly above 5V at 5.16V, but I believe this is OK (being within the limits stated in the manual i.e. 4.75 - 5.25 VDC).

I can get HyperTerm to talk to the LCD and display text, but only when I power up the display with pins C1 and R1 jumpered. Without this jumper I get either nothing or garbage on the screen.

I want to use a keypad so I need to remove this jumper. When I try with a keypad connected I can't talk to the display properly.

Can you provide some suggestions on how to fix?

Kind regards

StuartP

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi StuartP,

Thanks for your question, sorry to hear that you are having some trouble communicating with your display. Nice job with the custom cable, it sounds like it is wired right, and does not appear to be the problem; the display is able to respond in manual override mode. With a jumper between C1 and R1 the display is reset to the factory defaults, once it is removed, it returns to the conditions that have been saved to it. The garbage characters that you are seeing could very well be the result of the baud rate in the unit being set to an unexpected value. To set, and save the baud rate to a known value follow the steps documented here. This should help you resolve the communication problems you have been experiencing, and let you enjoy all the functions of your display. Let me know how it turns out, and feel free to post any more questions, should you have them

Thanks,

Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

stuartp
LCD?

Post by stuartp »

Hi Troy

This worked a treat - thanks very much!

The Upload program is much better than Mogd and Mogd# - maybe you should include this as part of the downloads section on the main site - just a thought.

Thanks again

Stuart