Linux support?

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

Oululainen
LCD?

Linux support?

Post by Oululainen »

Any plans on linux drivers? Or providing information so people could create one? I'd like to use this with my MythTV box...

-Kai

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Yes, Jamie (engineering department) has stated that the new firmware will be released this week which will allow development for linux drivers etc...
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Paradigm
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Paradigm »

I'm currently in the process of re-writing the entire firmware from the ground up. We're working on things like:
  • - Enabling the GX expansion ports for addons
    - Being able to configure/disable the IR ports
    - Unified/simplified protocol to the display
    - Stability fixes
The first cut of firmware should be done end of this week, and it will enter a testing phase for a couple of weeks. At the moment, the ETA for public release will be first half of October. Once this cycle is complete, we're going to release the full protocols and documentation (not just for the display, but for building addons) for developers under a non-commercial license. So MythTV (which I also use) could use it. Commercial licenses will be available, just contact us for information.
James McTavish, P.Eng
Director of Engineering
Matrix Orbital

Oululainen
LCD?

Post by Oululainen »

This sounds fantastic. Thanks! :D

-Kai

cipher_nemo
LCD Geek

Post by cipher_nemo »

I use Fedora Core with MythTV for my PVR, but I am making another one as a Christmas gift for family. I will use ubuntu and MythTV, so if guys get Linux support, you can count me in as a repeat customer in that market. :)

Oululainen
LCD?

Post by Oululainen »

Any news on the firmware and docs? I'd love to replace my noisy dvb box with a nice HTPC... :lol:

Oululainen
LCD?

Losing faith...

Post by Oululainen »

Has this project been canceled or something?

Anyone in Finland want to buy a display since the support ain't likely to happen?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

No the project is far from canceled, we just hit a couple of speedbumps called 'the hollidays' and 'ces' but the project is back on track again now and I got the first rev of the new firmware my self only last week, we need a couple of more days to run internal tests on it. If you are interested in writing the linux support your selve give me a PM with your contact info and i'll see what I can do about getting you a copy and some internal support early.

Oululainen
LCD?

Relieved...

Post by Oululainen »

Hi, thanks for the reply. I kinda lost hope since this forum is quite quiet and this thread had not received updates.
Can't help with the drivers, no experience in them and no time to get into it. I'm going to try the MediaPortal so I'm a windows guy now... if it works... if not, I'll have to make some time then...

-Kai

georgefe
LCD?

Post by georgefe »

I would also be interested in using the linux drivers when they become available.

gdn
LCD?

any new news ?

Post by gdn »

Hi,

Is there any news news in overcoming these "speed bumps"? :D

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

The firmware is in beta test at this moment by several members on these forums, if you are or know a developer on linux that wants to have a go at it, send me a PM and i'll see what I can do on getting him/her hooked up.

georgefe
LCD?

Post by georgefe »

Any news?

Paradigm
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Paradigm »

The documentation is ready to be released, however we have one last problem that is hanging up the release process: Licensing. To be blunt, we have had our products ripped off in the past, and as you can imagine we felt quite burned.

This time around, we have developed a very flexible and powerful protocol from the ground up that should expand with us for quite a while. We want to do everything in our power to prevent us from get ripped off again. Unfortunately we have several requirements for the licensing, and some of them are quite conflicting. We want it to be open and available for non-commercial (i.e. non-profit open source projects), but would like the provision for commercial licensing. As well we would love to be included into the mainline kernel, however we're not sure how to handle these licensing issues.

This leads us to the current situation which the lawyers are currently trying to sort out. Trust me, when we are ready to release the documentation, we will post it, but in the mean time, we're just trying to make sure we're covered, while allowing it to be as open as possible. We'll let you know when the dust settles.
James McTavish, P.Eng
Director of Engineering
Matrix Orbital

niknak
LCD?

Post by niknak »

Any updates?

I have the GX installed in my new Kubuntu machine and am chomping at the bits for the software!

I'd hate for it to be delyed because of red tape.