MX2 Fan Control Question

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

AgentGreen
LCD?

MX2 Fan Control Question

Post by AgentGreen »

Hello, I recently picked up and have been running the MX233 - I am very pleased with how versatile it is! :)

Unfortunately I have two very loud high-performance 120mm Panflow fans for my water-cooling setup.

The MX2 series appears to have 3x 3-pin RPM monitoring connections for fans, as well as a few GPOs? or is that the same thing and I am mixing it up?

I want to be able to hook-up the two 3-pin 12v 0.6amp fans to this unit. These fans do not support RPM monitoring, will LCDC still be able to adjust their speed based on voltage alone?

Also, without using thermal probes, is it possible to just setup events that read temperature info from MBM5 on when to adjust the speed?

Ideally I want the software to throttle down the fans once windows + LCDC boots and is running fairly idle (listening to music, surfing the net, etc...) And for it to automatically speed up the fans to max performance once I kick up a game and things start to get hot

I am still new to this :)
Thanks!

Mat-Moo
LCD Guru

Post by Mat-Moo »

Yes, you can use temps from MBM (or anything) to regulate your fan speeds.
## # Mat # ##
LCDC - Drive it to the edge baby!
http://www.lcdc.cc
Matthew@DPS.uk.com
DPS Ltd. (Not MO!)

AgentGreen
LCD?

Post by AgentGreen »

Do I have to plug in the floppy power cable, or will these 12v .6amp fans run off the MO's USB power?

Thanks

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

You will need to connect an unmodified floppy power cable to the white 4 pin connector to supply the power needed to run your 12V .6amp fans. Unfortunately the USB power supplies 5V @ .5amp. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to post!! :)
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

AgentGreen
LCD?

Post by AgentGreen »

Thanks!

One last bit, do I need to change any jumpers after plugging in the unmodified 4-pin floppy cable?

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

The unit is set to use the 12 Volt rail by factory default for the high powered GPO's. Enjoy!!
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital