Power and Data cable

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

babber
LCD!

Post by babber »

I intend to purchase an LK204-25 display (for a wired remote winamp controller)and connect switches to the keypad interface (rather than a keypad) for play, pause etc. The "parts" would be mounted in a project box and connected to a PC about 10m away. I would like to supply power and data up a single cable which will be suitably terminated each end. Would power line cause any sort of interference on the data lines in a single cable? Also, it would be convenient to send the audio signal up the cable as well (line level - not amplified) - would that work??
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Cheers

Babber

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Well, you would require 4 lines for the basic stuff. RX, TX, +5V and ground. If you modify the cable you can put +5V into it and directly into pin 9 of the DB-9 connector. (you will require to do a solder jumper as well on the PCB)

As for the audio lines... why do you want them in the same cable?
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

relix
Uber Slave
Uber Slave

Post by relix »

maybe he wants to build his own stereo? Cool idea!

babber
LCD!

Post by babber »

As for the audio lines... why do you want them in the same cable?
-------------------------------------------
To save having two cable runs. I have amplified speakers and I would put a 3.5mm jack socket on the wired remote to take audio to the amplified speakers placed nearby.

As for using +5v from the serial port, I didn't think this was a good idea? I would make a custom back plate taking serial from the motherboard and power from the psu.

Cheers

Babber

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Hmmm.. running everything you need in one wire should work... I would be only worried about noise...

"As for using +5v from the serial port, I didn't think this was a good idea? I would make a custom back plate taking serial from the motherboard and power from the psu. "

not sure what you mean here... by running the power cable into the DB-9 connector will save you on another cable. The LCD is capable of doing this, so why not use it :smile: So making a serial + power cable all in one is a good idea, just make sure to have a good big ground wire.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2002-01-19 21:50 ]</font>

babber
LCD!

Post by babber »

From the manual for the LK204-25:-
If the user intends to use pin 9 as the power source, the user must solder the 5 volt jumper point beside the DB9 connector. This is not necessarily a safe operation for a PC based application.

Babber

Newman
LCD?

Post by Newman »

I am worried about the thickness of the LK204-25 in my application. Is there any way around using the DB-9 connector? I liked the alternative rs-232 option on the 204-25pc, yet again you find the thick DB-9 connector?