Outdoor viewability - and in the cold

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

phirstof4
LCD?

Post by phirstof4 »

Anybody have experience on using the LCDs or the VFDs outdoors - either in direct sunlight or with bright sun but shaded display? And in temps of -10 to -20C?

I have an application for a box that would be used in bright light - both direct and reflected (snow and ice).

Thanks,
Sridhar

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Regular LCD are not rated past 0C. We do offer extended Temp LCDs that will go to -20C BUT their responce time is slower and slower as it get's colder. VFDs will be the same speed no matter what temp it is. The only problem with VFDs is that they wash out in dirrect sunlight, but this is why you can get fileters for them (coming soon). So with a filter and a VFD will be the best combo for cold temp and direct sun light.

Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Newman
LCD?

Post by Newman »

Does anyone have information about viewing outdoors or experience with it?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

On 2002-01-24 13:44, Newman wrote:
Does anyone have information about viewing outdoors or experience with it?
I don't understand the question.. the VFD is really good in the out doors and if you have a filter it's excelent.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

NotANick
LCD!

Post by NotANick »

Well unless your LCD is rated for the cold it can freeze and crack rendering it pretty much useless. I found this out with a pager and a cell phone forgotten out in my car or work truck on two different occasions. Pager in my work truck 4 or 5 years back and cell phone 2 years back in my car. Both times it was winter.
On the VFD well way back when calculators were a NEW tech toy they used VFDs a lot, still have one in my junk bin, cold never seemed to bother mine and I used mine in direct sunlight a lot without problems.
Does this help?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Normal LCDs have a rating for 0C to +50C, Extended Temperature LCD are -15C to +60C...

Normal VFDs have a rating from -20C to +70C, Extended Temperature VFD are -40C to +85C

Your calculator most likely had some kind of filter on it as well...
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Newman
LCD?

Post by Newman »

How about a LCD such as the GLK12232-25 in direct sun? Is is hard to read? Do you have any viewing angle specs?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

All the LED backlit LCDs will be fine in direct sunlight. They do not suffer from the effects of sun like VFDs do.

As for viewing angles... I'll have to look into that.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

NotANick
LCD!

Post by NotANick »

On 2002-01-25 11:04, Henry wrote:
Normal LCDs have a rating for 0C to +50C, Extended Temperature LCD are -15C to +60C...

Normal VFDs have a rating from -20C to +70C, Extended Temperature VFD are -40C to +85C

Your calculator most likely had some kind of filter on it as well...
Opps sorry should have said in last post that the calc had a filter of some sort as a faceplate, my mistake.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NotANick on 2002-01-29 12:16 ]</font>