No votes

Total votes: 3

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Installing the Internal USB Cable

Post by Henry »

Installation of the Internal USB Cable

Please note, if you are planning on using the Internal USB Cable you are expected to show a certain level of electronics knowledge. If you damage the display, yourself or your computer it's not our fault. Don't say we didn't warn you.

The Internal USB Cable allows you to connect the display to an internal USB header on the motherboard. This eliminated the need to use the A to B cable and use an external USB port on the motherboard.

USB Cables use 4 wires, +5V, D+, D- and GND. Motherboards will generally have a 4 or 5 pin header. Please consult your motherboards manual for the pinout of their USB headers.

The LCD is "keyed" meaning that there is a pin missing on the headers and one pin is filled up on the cable not allowing you to reverse the orientation of the cable.

The USB cable is a 5 pin to 4/5 pin cable allowing internal USB connectivity.

Please note, your motherboard may use different letters or symbols to describe the pinout.

Match the pinout of the cable to your motherboards pinout and then insert the pins into the black connector. DOUBLE CHECK THE PINOUT BEFORE TURNING ON YOUR COMPUTER!

Large

FAQ

Q1: My motherboard manual has different letters or symbols for the pinout, what do I do?
A1: It is recommended that you follow the pinout from your motherboard manufacturer. However you can ask others at our forums (www.lcdforums.com/forums)

Q2: My motherboard has only 4 pins, your header has 5, what should I do?
A2: If there is room for the 5 pin header, use it and allocate the pins accordingly, otherwise you may have to trim the end off.

Q3: I'm not 100% sure if I got the pinout right, should I just try and see?
A3:NO! Please visit our forums (www.lcdforums.com/fourms) and ask!

Q4:What should I do with the A to B cable if I use the internal one?
A4: Anything you want. It's a standard cable so it can be used with any USB device. Simply cut the tie off and remove.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

walkinginfog
LCD?

Internal USB Cable Installation--Unit Not Recognized

Post by walkinginfog »

I have installed the MX522 using the internal USB cable, but Windows XP SP2 will not recognize the unit as new hardware. I followed the instructions very carefully and have also repeatedly consulted my motherboard manual to ensure that I placed the wires on the correct pins. The singular header is plugged in to the rear of the unit (and can only be done so in one direction), immediately to the right of the standard USB cable, and the four individual wires have been attached to the motherboard. The standard USB cable was attached to the unit until my most recent attempt, and previously I once tried to plug this cable in to an external USB port, which was also unsuccessful. Device Manager indicates that the USB Root Hub is installed and working properly. I attached a floppy power connector to the unit to determine whether it was "dead," as was advised by your staff in another forum posting, and was happy to see the Matrix Orbital MX5 screen displayed. Thus, the unit seems to be in operable condition, USB appears to be functioning according to Windows, and yet Windows will not recognize the unit as new hardware. How can I troubleshoot this problem?

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Hello,

Thanks for the post. In your device manager, what is the device listed as in Ports (COM & LPT) and in the Universal Serial Bus controller sections?
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

walkinginfog
LCD?

Post by walkinginfog »

Under Ports, two devices are listed: COM1 and LPT1. Nothing else is listed under Ports, and neither is anything listed under either of these devices. Under USB Controllers, there is a device listed as Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller. This USB device has a symbol next to it consisting of a black exclamation point inside a yellow circle. Its status is that it cannot start (Code 10). I'm guessing that this may be the MX522. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling this device, which appears to initially be successful in that the exclamation point inside the yellow circle disappears. However, assuming this is the MX522, it is never recognized as such, and furthermore, upon restarting the device returns to its previous status (exclamation point inside yellow circle, Code 10).

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

The device listed as Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller is part of your motherboard , check the manufacturers site for updated drivers for your chipset. After that is working your MX would probably be recognized as such.

walkinginfog
LCD?

Post by walkinginfog »

Apparently others with my motherboard (Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe) have also had problems with USB. After searching Google, I surmised what needed to be done: I flashed the BIOS and updated the drivers for the chipset, and now the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller is functioning properly and continues to do so after several restarts. However, the MX522 still is not detected by Windows, and I now have four items under Ports rather than two. In addition to COM1 and LPT1, Ports now also displays COM3 (Communications Port) and COM4 (Multiport Communications Port). Neither of these (3 and 4) are working, both displaying the unfortunately familiar exclamation point inside a yellow circle. Do these Ports items have anything to do with the MX522?

walkinginfog
LCD?

Post by walkinginfog »

Eureka! Disregard the latter portion of my previous post: the device has been recognized by Windows and the drivers installed. While I did indeed have the USB problem described, I did not have a Ports problem. The final step needed for the unit to be recognized by Windows was for the floppy power connector to be attached. This was not an oversight, however. Because the unit is connected via USB, I assumed that both data and power were provided by the USB connection, just like every other USB device I have used. But obviously Matrix Orbital's display units also require a separate power connection. A suggestion, therefore, is to indicate in your instructional materials (CD as well as package insert for internal USB cable) that BOTH the USB and floppy power connections are required. Thank you to both of the previous posters for troubleshooting help.

brandnizzle
LCD?

Installation on an ABIT Fatal1ty AN8?

Post by brandnizzle »

How can I plug it into this mobo's usb header?

2 4 6 8 10 Pin
|o|o|o|o|o| 1
|o|o|o|o| | 3
1 3 5 7 5

brandnizzle
LCD?

Re: Installation on an ABIT Fatal1ty AN8?

Post by brandnizzle »

brandnizzle wrote:How can I plug it into this mobo's usb header?

2 4 6 8 10 Pin
|o|o|o|o|o| 1
|o|o|o|o| | 3
1 3 5 7 5
sorry disregard the pin part from the previous post

brandnizzle
LCD?

Re: Installation on an ABIT Fatal1ty AN8?

Post by brandnizzle »

brandnizzle wrote:
brandnizzle wrote:How can I plug it into this mobo's usb header?

2 4 6 8 10 Pin
|o|o|o|o|o| 1
|o|o|o|o| | 3
1 3 5 7 5
sorry disregard the pin part from the previous post
these are the actual pin assignments

Pin Assignments
1-VCC
3-Data0-
5-Data0+
7-Ground
9-NC
2-VCC
4-Data1-
6-Data1+
8-Ground
10-NC

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Hi Brandnizzle,

Thank you for posting at the LCD forums.

Here is how you should plug in the internal usb.

+5V goes to Vcc(Pin1)
D- goes to Data0-(Pin 3)
D+ goes to Data0+(Pin 5)
Gnd goes to Ground(Pin 7)

I hope this helps you out. If you have anymore questions or concerns, please feel free to post.

Best Regards,

brandnizzle
LCD?

Post by brandnizzle »

ok i hooked it up but its not turning on. Is there an extra cable i'm missing to hook it up to the PSU b/c i thought the usb covered that? Thanks.

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

What model do you have?

brandnizzle
LCD?

Post by brandnizzle »

I have the MX422.

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

You won't need any extra power to turn on the display. Is the unit detected, when you plug in the external usb cable?