Win XP: USB serial port doesn't install

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

calumn
LCD?

Win XP: USB serial port doesn't install

Post by calumn »

This may be the same problem as Cerebral is having ( MX2 USB Drivers Not Working with XP SP1 ???)
but I'll post as new thread just in case.

Story:
I got an MX213 USB today (God bless KustomPCs!) and it all lit up fine and dandy.

obligatory "but..."

When I install the drivers, it runs through the install of the MX2xx driver OK, but fails at the end of the install for the USB serial port driver (2nd part of Henry's guide)
I'm getting an error message "The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name"

When I checked Device Manager (as Miles suggested in the other thread), the "MX2xx USB" driver shows up fine, but the "USB Serial Port" has the dreaded yellow exclamation mark. Oooh!

I tried the CD drivers first, then the V10 drivers, then the (wonderfully named) P8002104 drivers. Uninstalling the drivers and rebooting each time.

The only clue I have at the moment is that, sometimes (ugh!), the hardware installer looks for ftserui2.dll (note the 2) - which is only on the CD-based drivers.

Any ideas? hints? suggestions? large bits of wood to hit myself with?

I'm gonna rebuild my machine this weekend. Maybe a fresh install of windoze will help Ooo!

calumn
LCD?

And it did

Post by calumn »

rebuilt windows, installed the USB_V10 drivers and loaded on LCDC

Works perfectly :-)

even after loading on SP1

I wait with interest to see which of my USB drivers was conflicting...

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

I'm glad to hear that you got everything working :D...I'm also learning something new everyday!! Let us know if you have anymore problems...
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

gordy_hand
LCD Guru

Post by gordy_hand »

Been having problems with mine too :( I think I've got it working after the 25th bloomin attempt tho .

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Strange, I have yet to have any problems with the drivers and I have installed them on 20 systems or so now. Expect a new set of drivers in 2 weeks or so (i know that's not good for the people now, but it's the best I can do). The P05546 (or hat ever) are drivers from the chip manufacturer direct and then we change them just a little to be our drivers and give you the ability to add multiple displays on the same system. In the above pictures it looks like only 1 of the 2 drivers are installing properly.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

calumn
LCD?

Post by calumn »

yup, the first of the two drivers installs fine. (for me)
I *think* (guess) that, as I have been "temporarily" installing quite a lot of stuff using USB, something else had installed a driver "service" named "USB Serial Port".
Since whatever it was is no longer connected to my system, it doesn't show up in Device Manager - but the driver's still active, and nothing else is allowed to install a device ("uhm,"service"?) of the same name.

once I cleared out all the old driver cruft, it installed perfectly, 1st time.

I just have to stop playing with it now! hehe

Barf_Jarvis
LCD?

Sam tang!

Post by Barf_Jarvis »

How did you remove the old driver crap? I've got the exact same problem!

calumn
LCD?

Post by calumn »

How did you remove the old driver crap?
:D 4 simple steps...

1) Format C:
2) Reinstall XP
3) Install the MO drivers (I used the V1.0 drivers from this forum)
4) Restore the essential data you backed up. :jawdrop:

It's a bit extreme, it would be "more elegant" to plug in the conflicting item, and uninstall it with Device Manager. Since I have no idea what the conflicting item was, and probably no longer have it handy (if at all!), a full windows reinstall seemed the simplest solution.

that and it lets me restart a few 30day trials ;-)

DocRob
LCD?

Post by DocRob »

I too have encountered the same problem with the USB Serial Port Driver. I can't tell from the device manager what device is conflicting. I do have a Palm device and Canon USB printer which I suspect may be causing the conflict. Will try uninstalling them and see if it helps, but getting late now and wondered if there may be some other solutions. Since I just did a clean install of WinXP last weekend after a totally botched attempt at upgrading ME....really not looking forward to doing that again.

I do want to start using my display though! <:) [/img]

calumn
LCD?

Post by calumn »

interestingly, I have a palm m515, that I haven't installe the drivers for yet.

calvin166
LCD Geek

Post by calvin166 »

:eyebrow: hmmm well ive got microsoft xp and everything installed fine.i didnt do anything besides plugit in and thow in the cd...
-Calvin166
"... and then..."

Nivek
LCD?

Post by Nivek »

looked at one of the other posts and tried the suggestion there: download the following and use this driver - http://www.ftdichip.com/Files/P8002104.ZIP

basically download, extract, and update the driver to this one, choose the usb serial port, and there you have it