Dear MO, where can I stick my LCD...

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Dr_kazza
LCD Geek

Post by Dr_kazza »

... and not there!...

Looking to buy one of the very cool 204-25PC thingies BUT... as I mentioned here

why is your PCB bigger than a 5 1/2 drive?... I read the review and they said that you needed a free bay above and below... BAH!!
now I gotta look for somewhere else to put it... only 4 drive bays on the case I want..
1) DVD
2) CDW
3) SB audigy
4) empty because a MO wont' fit

Do you know if there is a way of making it so that the fans (plugged into the GPO) can go from off to 7v to 12v or is it only binary in the fact that they can be on or off?

If it is possible do you have to be a VB guru to do it?

Thx

Kazza

{url corrected (I hope))

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dr_kazza on 2001-11-13 11:07 ]</font>

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

OK, when I read your post I burst out laughing...

The PCB is about 25% bigger then a 5 1/4 drive bay. I would recommend:

1. Mount it on the side ( http://bit-tech.net/article/48/ ) or

2. Get a 2x20, but you will not be able to plug fans or lights in directly, you could if you did some electronics mods. (add a transistor or MOSFET to the GPO)

3. If you have 2 3.5inch drive bays free, try this (

The display can do 12V only; you can mod it if you have good electronics skills too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-11-13 10:11 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-11-13 10:12 ]</font>

Dr_kazza
LCD Geek

Post by Dr_kazza »

Hmmmm... 2 flobby bays... I think I may just do that... most Mobos can boot from cdrom so I may well ditch the flaccid altogether. Tempting very tempting...

Next question... how much is postage from the US or are there any UK retailers... (I think I know the answer to this question and I don't like it already :/ )

Just had another thought...
GPO1 - Lights
GPO2 - Lights (don't ask, just wait for the piccys)
GPO3 - Fan 1 route1
GPO4 - Fan 1 route2
GPO5 - Fan 2 route1
GPO6 - Fan 2 route2

when gpo4 or 6 is on what this could do is trip a short circuit on a resistor...
for example

GPO3 comes on at Temp = 25
GPO5 comes on at T = 30
GPO4 comes on at T = 35
GPO6 comes on at T = 40

3 and 5 are connected to fans with a resistor in series thereby dropping the speed of them

4 and 6 will short circuit the resistor on each of the fans increasing the speed of the fan...

It's been a LONG LONG while since I've done any physics... anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this and what resistance I should be going for?

Kazza (getting all too over excited...) :grin:

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

I think floppy drives should have died years ago, with ISA cards... but eh.

Shipping to the UK is about $19.00USD for 2-3 days service. And we are located in Canada :smile: We do not have any distributors in the UK, but are working with some right now.

The GPOs can active all at once or one at a time or any combination. So yes, you can do what you want it to do.

I have wanted to do a case mod with old style nobs
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.p ... readid=968
and connected to GPOs. So the GPOs on the LK204-25PC will turn on depending on preset temps in software config and then you can adjust them to the speed you want with the nobs on the front of the case. It would bey a Fan Bus but software controlled by the LCD< so you coud get temps to read on the display and so on... I'm looking forward to some one doing that :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-11-13 10:54 ]</font>

Dr_kazza
LCD Geek

Post by Dr_kazza »

sounds fun... not sure I'll have the space to do it but I may 'make space'

Gotta wait for Bit-tech to sort out their webbie so I can find the how-to article and do a half a$$ed copy job...

last question before I go home and convince the missus to let me spend my own cash (work that one out if you can!) if I got the 204-25PC which drive bay would I need for the floppy section instead of the 5 1/2s?

Fanx

Kaz

mrhaz
Bit-Tech.net
Bit-Tech.net

Post by mrhaz »

Hey, I'm the Bit-Tech LCD guy :wink: What case is that, the huge black one above?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Yes, I was going to post a direct link but the older articles are not up yet. But my "sources" tell me they are working on it right now.

To mount the LCD in the floppy section use a MK2041 ( http://www.matrixorbital.com/products/mk2041.htm ) as a cut out guide. What was done with the case above was ht used the blank drive bay covers, glued them together used the over lay guide to cut the hole out, used glue to glue it in place and then cut down the black over lay to cover up and cutting mistakes.

"last question before I go home and convince the missus to let me spend my own cash (work that one out if you can!)"

I understand... not sure how it works yet, but I feel your pain :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-11-13 11:08 ]</font>

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Speaking of sources.. hehehehe....
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

On 2001-11-13 11:03, mrhaz wrote:
Hey, I'm the Bit-Tech LCD guy :wink: What case is that, the huge black one above?
http://www.bitshift.org/casemod.shtml

:grin:

I was reading the [H] forum one day and saw one of his posts and his website was in his sig... so I looked, and thought, this looks familiar, hmmm.. so I looked over the site and saw the pics

mrhaz
Bit-Tech.net
Bit-Tech.net

Post by mrhaz »

Thank matey :smile:

Raen
LCD?

Post by Raen »

Just wondering...

"To mount the LCD in the floppy section use a MK2041 as a cut out guide. What was done with the case above was ht [he?] used the blank drive bay covers, glued them together used the over lay guide to cut the hole out, used glue to glue it in place and then cut down the black over lay to cover up and cutting mistakes."

I'm very intrigued by this idea, and I'd love to mod the new rig I'm building in this way. You're suggesting just slapping an LCD into a 5.25 insert, and cutting it down to fit 2 3.5 bays, right? But isn't a 5.25 bay cover smaller than 2 3.5's put together?

Before you all scrabble for your measuring tapes: 5.25 is a little over 1 1/2 inches ('bout 4cm) tall, while 2 3.5's are 2 inches (5cm) tall. Should I just try to glue the insert roughly in the middle and leave that extra centimetre open?

I'd love to here from someone on this before I go and buy all the parts for my new 'puter. (AMD all the way! :cool: )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raen on 2002-01-19 06:28 ]</font>

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

We need to clarify something here...

The MK2041 and B2041 are different things. The B2041 is a PC Bay insert, that a display will fit into. The MK2041 is:

Instruction Manual
Self-adhesive overlay
Adhesive cutting and drilling guide
2-56 x 3/4" Flat head machine screws
2-56 machine screw nuts
3/8" nylon spacers
2-56 nylon washers

This is used to help you mount the display where you want...

So here is the suggestion...

*glue the two blank 3.5" drive bays together.
*use the sticker overlay and place it in the center
*cut the hole
*drill the holes and mount the LCD.

Also there is a lexan sticker which is the perfect size and can be placed on the cut drive covers to cover up any mistakes :smile: (just like the pictures shows, the black area which was cut down to size to fit the area)

here is a picture of the sticker (this is for the GLK12232-25-SM)

I hope all of this makes sense...
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital